solar panel [s]

Electrical issues, both 12 volt and 120 volt
lougarou
Weekend Camper

solar panel [s]

Post by lougarou »

shalom steve helms;

nice pictures, just one thing missing. how did you attach the solar

panel to the roof and is it in place all the time?

i have 3 , 15 amp panels from icp. and they worked great in my back

yard. but on top of a b 190, this is going to be new, and i think a little

trickey. i dont need any leaks and im not sure if i have the room for all 3.

i just want something extra, just in case of trouble to run everything

inside. should i run out of propane. its still huricain season in the gulf and

thats where im headed in 12 days. 8O) i must be nuts...

be safe, lg.
lougarou
Weekend Camper

solar panel

Post by lougarou »

shalom;

20 views, but no answers to my questions. ive less than 11 days before i take my home on the road for a year. there has to be a simple answer here someplace, someone has to know.

How do you get the solar panels to stick to the fiberglas roof while driving and how can it be done without punching holes in the roof without causing leaks?

un like s. helms i have 3 panels and according to my messuring stick i can fit them all in the same area, just dont know how.

skater, alaskan, do you have any ideas , all ideas welcome, or does anyone know of other sites where i can get said info.

be safe, LG.
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

I haven't done it, but every solar panel I've seen (not many, mind you) is mounted on brackets, above the roofline an inch or two. If you carefully seal around the holes you won't have any problems with leakage. I really don't see any other way to do it - you could try double sided tape or something like that (that's what's holding on several emblems on my cars), but if it fails it's not going to be a cheap failure.

Also I'm not sure about the space. There's quite a bit of room up there between the air conditioner and the hump - take a look in the gallery in my pictures for a few I took last time I was up there. But I think you're going to have to climb up and measure. It depends on your panel size, too.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
Alaskan
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1999
WBCCI: 0

Post by Alaskan »

A little preparation like rough sanding the fiberglass at the points of contact and I'd use Liquid Nails, the multi-purpose version, the stuff is bullet-proof when its dry....the only way to get it off is the saw it off.

The rougher the glass where you're going to apply it the better...

Its kinda my go-to product for lots projects or repairs....another very good alternative is 3M 5200 Quick Dry (red tube)

Either of these will do that job without any problems...

Thats what I do folks cuz I ain't into drilling holes in the top..... :lol:
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

The only problem with that is that if the cell were ever damaged you wouldn't be able to remove it for repair/replacement.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
lougarou
Weekend Camper

solar panels

Post by lougarou »

:? shalom; pros and cons. thanks guys. ive got a pretty flat roof and all 3 will fit. they were gurantied against soft ball sized hail. but, ill probably park under a tree and have it drop a limb or 2.

had hoped to set it up before taking the rig to fl. for a few months.
for now i think ill just hook them up at the campsites. or go with camp juice.

i dont have a generator like some of you, just a deep cell for the interior stuff it charges while driving. when i park theres some kind of circut breaker that seperates it from the starting battery. none of the manuals explains this either.

and when parked in order to turn on the a/c i have to throw a switch thats behind my fridge and to the side. interesting machine i own. hell , theres a switch that i found today on the right or the steering colume ???
its not in the manual either. and its not for the hazard lights either, nice colours when it lights up.

be safe. LG
Alaskan
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1999
WBCCI: 0

Post by Alaskan »

The switch to the right of the steering column on mine ( blue when activated ) is for the driving lights that are factory Airstream in the valance panel below the front bumper..
lougarou
Weekend Camper

road lites

Post by lougarou »

shalom; the 1st owner took them out to replace them, in doing so, had a heart attack.

thats when he and his lady decided to sell the camper.

be safe.