Alternator Fusible Link gauge - help?!!?

Electrical issues, both 12 volt and 120 volt
slapthecat
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1990
WBCCI: 0

Alternator Fusible Link gauge - help?!!?

Post by slapthecat »

I've just recently purchased a 1990 B190. There's a 30amp blade fuse under the hood that keeps popping - looks like it's inline with the alternator cable, and is supposed to be a fusible link instead of a fuse.

From what I'm reading about fusible links, they're color coded for their gauge. Wondering if anyone can take a look under their hood and let me know what they've got in theirs?!?! The link in question is connected between the starter solenoid and the alternator.

The picture shows a yellow wire with inline fuse holder connecting from the hot side of the solenoid(?) to 3 wires - Red/Orng, Blck/Orng, and Yllw/wht - that are cabled together - cable is labeled 14305 p260h-9l which Googles as alternator cable

image link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/415 ... .36.31.jpg
slapthecat
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1990
WBCCI: 0

Re: Alternator Fusible Link gauge - help?!!?

Post by slapthecat »

Just an update for anyone running into this same problem down the line...

I wasn't able to get any definitive information. Went to the local Ford dealership - even they don't have records going back that far! Talking to a knowledgeable individual at Autozone, I decided to try a 16ga fusible link (he suggested a 14ga, but I figured if the 16ga can handle the regular usage, it'd offer better protection in case of a short somewhere...)

Installed the 16ga fusible link yesterday morning, drove around with the radio and AC cranked - no problems!!!