Electrical issues, both 12 volt and 120 volt
Mark
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1997
WBCCI: 0

Re: Installing Solar Panels

Post by Mark »

I have two 6 volt Lifeline batteries.

I can't take any credit for choosing any of the parts or pieces of my system. Lew Farber, and old buddy from here in Hood River is also a well known and highly regarded RV solar designer and installer (Google his name and you will find all sorts of stuff). We talked about my electrical wants and needs and he put together the system. He works closely with AM Solar, here in Oregon, who is also highly regarded and trusted. I bought the whole kits from them and to save needed money (sorry Lew) am installing it myself.
If it ain't fun - it ain't done!
kitemanks
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1994

Post by kitemanks »

Well it looks like you really know what your doing so my 2 cents wasn't worth much. I'm sure you're running to AGM batteries to avoid any dangerous gases as well. I just thought I'd state that for others looking to replicate your installation.
Mark
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Mark »

Oh no, "really know what you're doing" is not quite accurate. It's more like I've found the people who really know who can tell me what to do!

Yesterday I ran 14/2 from the inverter but today, as I was hooking it, I noticed the manual said to use 12/2. I called a buddy and he suggested going even one step further and using 10/2. Since it was a fairly nice day and not raining, I drove out and got some 10/2 and spent some quality time under the rig running it. I then connected the IN and OUT AC on the inverter and ran a household plug with two USB ports to a nice convenient spot below my kitchen counter.
Inverter-AC-hook-up.jpg
Inverter-AC-hook-up.jpg (87.02 KiB) Viewed 10647 times
kitches-counter-plug.jpg
kitches-counter-plug.jpg (104.95 KiB) Viewed 10647 times
Tomorrow I'll hook the inverter to the AC panel and try to figure out how to redirect my stereo from the auto battery to the coach batteries.

After that all I'm waiting on is two USB dashboard plugs and the custom length wires to hook the batteries together.
Marko Polo
Weekend Camper

Post by Marko Polo »

Mark -

Wow, very nice install. Thank you for documenting!

Do you mind providing the materials and approximate cost you've used? Which panels, converter, battery, etc. did you go with? I'm in Indiana and am considering the upgrade if the numbers fit. I am experienced in carpentry but electricity is not my strong suit.

Usually I start the van and plug a USB charger into the cigarette lighter to charge my things and let it run for a while to charge the house battery. A sustainable power source would be a welcome upgrade.
Mark
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Mark »

I'll run down the total list when I get home but I got it all, and a lot of good advice and instruction, from AM Solar, here in Oregon.
As I was researching solar I came across the name of a guy I know, Lew Farber. He is a well known and respected solar system designer and installer. We met and discussed my needs. He designed the system and recommended AM Solar.
My total bill from AM Solar was $3100. Two 135 watt panels, an MPPT, an inverter, two batteries, a combiner box, fuse, switch and various wires and connectors, all top of the line stuff.

I'm no electrician either, I understand home wiring, but auto wiring is a bit of a different animal. Installing the panels, wiring them together, to the combiner box, to the MPPT, to the batteries, to the inverter, that is all fairly obvious stuff once you sit down and think it out. I was unsure about merging the Inverter to the existing RV fuse panel so I called a local RV guy (Lew is in Florida) to come out and answer some questions.
I wanted the stereo and USB plugs to be wired to the solar so I took the rig to the guy who installed the stereo and had him do it.
All in all, I've paid $350 for outside help. I've emailed AM Solar a number of times also. They've always gotten right back to me with clear and concise instructions.

A lot of people go for the cheapest watts per dollar but according to Lew, not all panels are made alike and watts per dollar is going to get you what you pay for. I wanted a system that did what I wanted it to do and didn't want to have to worry about it ever again.
Mark
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Mark »

Here is the list.

SOLAR
• 2 GS-135 solar panel kits
• 1 roof combiner box
• 1 Sunrunner Gold 30MPPT/8 controller core

BATTERIES
• 2 Lifeline GPL-4CT 220 amp/hour golf cart AGM batteries

INVERTER
• 1 Magnum MS-1012 1000 watt inverter/charger
• 1 Magnum ME-RC remote panel
• 1 Magnum 200 amp inverter fuse kit
• 1 300 amp inverter cut-off switch
Marko Polo
Weekend Camper

Post by Marko Polo »

Mark -

Thanks a lot for posting that information. I'll look into it - definitely not a project for the faint of heart! Keep us up when you use it how it goes.
jb1rd73
Seasoned Traveler

Post by jb1rd73 »

Looks like you are making good on that solar promise!! When ya coming back to Colorado?
Mark
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Mark »

I'll be there for a bit in May and then off and on for August and September.