'94 Bvan Wiring

Electrical issues, both 12 volt and 120 volt
Roger
B190 Year: 0
WBCCI: 5888

'94 Bvan Wiring

Post by Roger »

Shutting off all the breakers in my '94 460 7.5 Bvan still leaves power to most everything such as water pump, overhead light, water heater, and in fact at this point it shuts anything off.
Does anyone have a wiring diagram for this unit ?. I've asked Airstream and nothing is available.
Another question is, of the two battery's under the hood, what battery is considered to be the coach battery ? Drivers side or passenger side battery.

Roger
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Re: '94 Bvan Wiring

Post by skater »

Roger wrote:Shutting off all the breakers in my '94 460 7.5 Bvan still leaves power to most everything such as water pump, overhead light, water heater, and in fact at this point it shuts anything off.
Does anyone have a wiring diagram for this unit ?. I've asked Airstream and nothing is available.
Another question is, of the two battery's under the hood, what battery is considered to be the coach battery ? Drivers side or passenger side battery.

Roger
Whoa, that's weird. One of the breakers should kill the Univolt converter, which should shut off all the lights and fans. Actually, it probably did, but the coach battery kicked in to take up the load - that's what it's there for. :)

So you'd need to disconnect the coach battery and turn off the breakers to kill power to the coach.

On mine, the driver's side battery is the coach battery. I'm not sure how I figured this out the first time - either the previous owner told me or I noticed it was a deep cycle battery. One way to test would be to disconnect the negative cable and see if the engine still starts. If it does, you've got the coach battery, otherwise it's the engine battery.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

By coincidence, I just found this page that describes the electrical system in campers quite well. :)

(I'm going to add it to the web links section, too.)
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
Roger
B190 Year: 0
WBCCI: 5888

Re: '94 Bvan Wiring

Post by Roger »

skater wrote:
Roger wrote:Shutting off all the breakers in my '94 460 7.5 Bvan still leaves power to most everything such as water pump, overhead light, water heater, and in fact at this point it shuts anything off.

Roger
Whoa, that's weird. One of the breakers should kill the Univolt converter, which should shut off all the lights and fans. Actually, it probably did, but the coach battery kicked in to take up the load - that's what it's there for. :)

So you'd need to disconnect the coach battery and turn off the breakers to kill power to the coach.

On mine, the driver's side battery is the coach battery. I'm not sure how I figured this out the first time - either the previous owner told me or I noticed it was a deep cycle battery. One way to test would be to disconnect the negative cable and see if the engine still starts. If it does, you've got the coach battery, otherwise it's the engine battery.
Thanks for the info,,I'll be looking at it in the spring as it's in storage and we're on our way to the "warm" south
Roger