Fuel Guages

Electrical issues, both 12 volt and 120 volt
Eagle
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1990
WBCCI: 0

Fuel Guages

Post by Eagle »

When I purchased the MH the fuel guages were not working and still aren't. That hasn't bothered me as there are two tanks.

Any idea of what I might check to determine why both guages are not operating?
Alaskan
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1999

Post by Alaskan »

yep.....that exact same problem just developed with my 1991

I'll look into it...

What do you mean by both gauges...?

Mine has a single gauge and a 2-position switch under the dash that switches between the tanks which that single gauge recognizes
Last edited by Alaskan on Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

Mine don't work either. Occasionally the front one will work, but it's rare. Also, when the front one is working, if I switch to the rear tank, the gauge sinks to zero, then will come back up if I switch back to the front tank.

This leads me to believe the issue is most likely the fuel level sending units, which are in the tanks. They have a float attached to an arm that, over time, develops leaks (it is sitting in gasoline 24/7) and stops floating, so the gauge always reports empty.

I think to fix it you have to drop the tanks and replace that unit. Hence why I haven't done it. Instead I calculate how much gas I have by dead reckoning - the front tank holds 13 gallons, the rear 22 (I know this because I ran them dry once and filled them up - obviously don't run both dry simultaneously), so at 10 mpg that's about 100 miles on the front tank and 180 or so on the rear - some cushion built in there for safety. Also don't forget the generator pulls from the front tank.

While you're dropping the tanks you'll want to replace the straps holding them in place if they are at all questionable - one member actually had those straps fail on him while he was driving.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
Eagle
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1990

Post by Eagle »

Yes, there is only one guage for both tanks.

I was afraid that the cure was having to drop the tank to make repairs.

I will live with the present condition.

I know of one person who had the tank dropped to replace the fuel pump and when they put it back in place the hose for the tank was not re-connected. He spent the greater part of a Saturday dropping the tank again and connecting the hose.

Perhaps Alaskan will find an easier way.
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

Eagle wrote:I know of one person who had the tank dropped to replace the fuel pump and when they put it back in place the hose for the tank was not re-connected. He spent the greater part of a Saturday dropping the tank again and connecting the hose.
Yeah. I think it's not too bad if the tank is empty. But in any case, it's not a job I plan to undertake until I have to replace a fuel pump (my rear tank's fuel pump seems to have gotten louder, so I'm wondering if it'll be due soon).

Heck, they didn't even fix them on that $100,000,000 B-van. ;)
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
Roadhog
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1995
WBCCI: 8063

fuel tank guage

Post by Roadhog »

Many Ford products with duel tanks have had similar problems. Before you go to the trouble to remove that tank, CHECK THE GROUND CIRCUITS TO THE TANKS AND THE SWITCH. I had this problem on another Ford motor home and it was a fix. Also check the internet for more info on this problem. Ford gas tank problems. Don't remember exactly the way to get into it but I did find info several years age. Good luck.
Happy Trails Howard
Alaskan
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1999

Post by Alaskan »

Great suggestion there Roadhog.....I'll look at the grounding first.

My senders had never been a problem before....the rig has sat for awhile with the tanks completely full...think I'll drain the tanks and use that fuel and as I drain them maybe I can free up the floats or whatever if thats part of the problem.

I'll look on the net also....if I find something that appears relevant I'll update right here.

Stay Tuned.....