Wiring for solar battery charger

Electrical issues, both 12 volt and 120 volt
Scot
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1994
WBCCI: 0

Wiring for solar battery charger

Post by Scot »

The specifications and standard equipment stated that my 1994 B190 is "pre-wired for solar battery charger". Can anyone tell me how this is wired? Thanks, Scot
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

First, welcome to the site.

Have you seen this thread? It doesn't answer all of your question but it's a start.

The wiring on the roof is in a box in front of the A/C. If you look in the Gallery, in my pictures, there's a picture of the box I took while I was up doing some repairs.

I don't know where the other end of those wires are, but my electrical panel has an extra red wire in it that could be for that...

(Moved to electrical forum.)
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
Alaskan
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1999

Post by Alaskan »

The small gray/black box on top of the RV just ahead of the air conditioner unit has the solar wires under it.

There is 1 red wire & 1 white wire under that box

The wires are above the interior light on the inside and are very difficult to get at...but you shouldn't need to.

Those wires run to the converter and as started by Steve, the wires were capped with wire nuts at each end.

Forget trying to use these wires to pull larger wire...they are tied to the other coach wiring behind the paneling.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is where you'll find the solar wires...under the small cover there on the right...

Or...

Last edited by Alaskan on Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:30 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Alaskan
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1999

Post by Alaskan »

Repost....from Steve Holm

Solor Panel used...Kyocera 120 watt solar panel

After doing extensive research on solar panels I decided to use this panel because it was the largest that would fit the top, produced the most and was the most efficient for the money. Most people using solar panels suggested that they wished they had gone to a larger panel than they had...so, I doubled the capacity I thought I'd need. A little more money buys a lot more panel.

Also, ask if they have blems..a panel should last over 25 years and a scratch on the aluminum frame will only be seen by God and the birds...I saved $100 this way.

Don't forget to use a controller between your solar panel and converter box ( I used a sunsaver 10 amp). I also purchased a AGM (absorbed glass mat) battery...completely sealed, use in any position, no fumes....and located it behind the sofa.
Scot
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1994

Post by Scot »

Thanks for your quick response. I'll look for the wires at the converter.