Coach battery size under hood?? 94

Electrical issues, both 12 volt and 120 volt
kitemanks
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1994
WBCCI: 0

Coach battery size under hood?? 94

Post by kitemanks »

My battery tray is 13"x 5.5" what battery actually fits this I cant seem to find one. I'm guessing that's why most people run another AGM under the couch...... to help out an undersized battery under the hood.
Mgittrich
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1993

Re: Coach battery size under hood?? 94

Post by Mgittrich »

On my 93 B190 it's a BCI Group 50 battery. I'm pretty sure the 94 B190 is the same. A group 50 battery is 13.5 x 5.0 x 10.0 inches. It's not a common size and not easily found a normal auto parts store. I bought one last year from Interstate batteries I think the cost was about $150. Even though I have 3 AGM Diehard Group 31M in the back of the van, I still replaced this one since it is needed to start the generator unless you modify the wiring under the hood. I was pressed for time and just replaced it.

Here's a link to the Interstate Battery replacement

http://www.interstatebatteries.com/b/au ... art+Number

And here's a link to common battery sizes

https://www.batteryweb.com/bci.cfm

I hope this helps.

Mike
kitemanks
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1994

Post by kitemanks »

Thanks that did help. I had found a list of sizes but not one that complete. It seems most AGM batteries with at least 100 ah are group 24,27,30,31. In my dreams there is one available to go under the hood in my coach battery slot.

Thanks
Eric
droadrunner
B190 Year: 0

Post by droadrunner »

In my 94, I am using an Optima AGM model D51R (yellow battery). CA 575, CCA 450, AH 38. I purchased it at Auto Zone and it has a 3 yr direct replacement (no ded) warranty.
Cost was a little over 200. Pricey, but it was the only thing I could find at the time while traveling. It has performed well for me.

As an aside, a couple of weeks ago, I ended up with both the chassis and the house (Optima) batteries dead as a door nail when ready for my morning departure. I had left the ignition on after raising the door windows and this drained both batteries to my surprise. I was under the mistaken impression that the house battery was totally independent.
When I got home, I stopped by the Airstream factory which is near where I live and was advised of the following:
When the ignition is ON, a switch in the electrical panel opens to allow the engine to charge both batteries at the same time. When the ignition is OFF, the house battery is isolated. You can run down either battery with the ignition off and it wont affect the other. Lesson learned!!
VT964x4
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1996

Post by VT964x4 »

Thank you for that "Aside"--very helpful info!