Van won't shut off

Electrical issues, both 12 volt and 120 volt
Gort
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1990
WBCCI: 0

Van won't shut off

Post by Gort »

I turned off the key and the van kept running. For real. After my issue with the wipers not turning off I was like "Really?"
I didn't know what to do so I just kept switching the thing back and forth and it finally shut off. Then I noticed my dash lights would barely flicker off and on with the key in the off position. Luckily I had just got home and was not on the road somewhere. So, I decided to wait till the next day to look at it. When I tried to start it the next day, my battery was dead.
After taking apart the key cylinder, I learned that the switch is actually down the steering column. The cylinder is a mechanical gear and rack type assy that moves a rod that actuates the switch further down the steering column. After removing a few bolts to lower the column, the switch is on top, held by two bolts, nestled in the little cove of the dash. $8.00 part, easily swapped. You just have to adjust it to match the key movement.
VT964x4
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1996

Re: Van won't shut off

Post by VT964x4 »

Thank you for letting us know the solution, really helpful!
Jersey747
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1994

Post by Jersey747 »

Good find , I’m having same issue , do you happen to have part numbers or diagram ?? I’ve been looking but no luck so far
Thx P
Gort
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1990

Post by Gort »

I'm sorry for just now answering this, I sold the van a while back. If I remember correctly, it was a common part with the F150 trucks. I think I bought a used one online. I know this is a vague answer but might point you in the right direction.