Electrical issues, both 12 volt and 120 volt
babsy
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1998
WBCCI: 0

Humming coming from under fuse panel

Post by babsy »

hello,
I recently noticed that when I have my 1998 190B plugged in to shore power I hear a humming almost a blowing sound coming from under the fuse panel....right below it almost looks like a vent? I never noticed this humming before? Is that my converter? is it normal to have a hum coming from that vented area under the fuse panel when plugged in?

thanks
Babsy
slapthecat
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1990

Re: Humming coming from under fuse panel

Post by slapthecat »

You're referring to the DC converter under the couch? There is a cooling fan in there that can get pretty loud.
babsy
Weekend Camper

Post by babsy »

So it's normal for the converter to be that loud when plugged into to shore power? I never noticed it before when plugged in. Is it an indication that my converter is going out? Only thing different that I did notice is that I accidently ran over the power cord with my car and the tire was on top of the cord and smashed it a bit....could that cause a problem?

Thanks
Babsy
slapthecat
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1990

Post by slapthecat »

The wheel on the cable shouldn't affect anything. Wouldn't worry about that.

The fan doesn't necessarily mean your converter is going bad - but could mean the fan is! I remember with mine, one day it was just really noticeable. I want to say it runs when the house battery is charging (ie: lots of current going to the battery from the converter, so the fan kicks on to keep everything cool - can anyone else confirm?!?!), so you would hear it at times when plugged in to shore power. (I've since replaced the stock converter - the new fan comes on when charging the battery, or when there's a heavy DC load - ie: the MaxxFan)
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

The converter has a fan to help cool itself, which will run on hot days. You have to check your voltage to see if the converter is dying. If it still has the original, I'd upgrade it anyway, because the cheap single stage converters these came with will destroy batteries quickly, unless you're very careful.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
babsy
Weekend Camper

Post by babsy »

it must have been the fan since it was a bit hot out. The humming eventually went away and the converter seems to be working fine. thanks for all the help.
nvestysly
Seasoned Traveler
WBCCI: 16771

Post by nvestysly »

babsy wrote:it must have been the fan since it was a bit hot out. The humming eventually went away and the converter seems to be working fine. thanks for all the help.
Glad the noise disappeared. However, as others have suggested, you may have the original single-stage converter/charger. If so, you should give some consideration to upgrading to a multi-stage charger. The multi-stage charger is much better for your "house" battery as it's a smart charger so it puts out a charge level commensurate with how much charge your batteries need. The original single-stage charger can boil your battery dry if you're not careful. There are several multi-stage chargers available and they are drop-in replacements. Look up the existing threads for more details.

Good luck.
We sold our 1998 B190, V-10
Currently own a 2010 Airstream Interstate