solar, or course.

Electrical issues, both 12 volt and 120 volt
lougarou
Weekend Camper

solar, or course.

Post by lougarou »

shalom,
been a long time i know, but, took longer to save for wireless than i had hoped.
after reading more of steve helms and some one else i know know what the little box on my roof is for. its just a cover for 2 wires,red and white.
they are for solar connections that go directly to the inverter/generator.
now this is good news, but i would like to know is there supposed to be a charge controler involved here some place? or can i just hook up the wires that came with the panels directly?
also, where can i find a low profile air conditioner,? while leaving a building that i knew well,i ran into an 8 inch water pipe that had installed between my visits there. it took out the front air vent and totaled the ac.
being winter it hasnt matted much and i like seeing the moon through my new sky lites. [sort of ] and a 200lb buck chaseing his favorite doe put a few dents on the passenger side, the window and mirror were easy to replace, the door is even easier to open, but get the window down is an other story . just need some warm dry days to work on that.

be safe, its mating season. lg
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

For the solar charger, if you only have a very small panel you can get away without a controller, because it won't really produce enough current to harm the battery (or do anything useful) - they're for battery maintenance only. But anything more than the tiniest of panels and you should have a controller installed, too.

Sorry to hear about your A/C. But they're standard units, so you should be able to get one from any RV supply place. 11,000 BTU size. A quick Google search turned up this page which lists a low profile model. That said, I'm pretty sure our stock units aren't low profile models. I'm not certain about that, though.

I'm not sure what to say about the deer thing other than "Sorry to hear that." A deer once ran into my parents Suburban, put a nasty dent in the door but fortunately no other damage. And a moose once bit my sister... ;)
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
lougarou
Weekend Camper

Post by lougarou »

shalom; building a new rack on roof, all is well for 3 room tent and other things.
and have room enough for 3 15 watt solar panels. now i found the wires red and white and they lead down to the converter/inverter. from there im lost as they go in behind the C/I and until i take out the couch and see what is going on.uug. have room for 2,maybe 3 batterys.
how do i connect the batterys to the wires? do i splice and attach the wires to the batterys . i know ill need boxs and connecting cables and a charge controller. its just these 2 wires that bother me.
ill be using 12 volt trolling batterys.

be safe, LG
lougarou
Weekend Camper

Post by lougarou »

:P

leaving for florida end of october and some or the state and national dont have electic . i need to be able to stay for weeks and still have a fridge, doubt that theres enough power for my freezer.

lg.
skater
Site Admin

Post by skater »

For the batteries, you'd connect the positive wire to either the positive lug on the panel or to the positive lug on the current battery. The negative wire can go to the frame or to the negative lug on the panel, or the negative lug on the current battery (usually the frame is the most simple).

lougarou
Weekend Camper

Post by lougarou »

shalom, thanks.

now can you remove vista from my pc and put in windows xp????

be safe, lg.
skater
Site Admin

Post by skater »

lougarou wrote:now can you remove vista from my pc and put in windows xp????
:rofl: Seems like a popular request these days but I can't help you there. :)

Alaskan
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1999
WBCCI: 0

Post by Alaskan »

Hey....I like Vista just fine...!

Just set your Internet Explorer icon where its outta sight and install FIREFOX for your browser and you'll be good to go...!

Internet Exploder is a huge part of the problem with any OS....
skater
Site Admin

Post by skater »

I'll stick with Linux. 8)

lougarou
Weekend Camper

Post by lougarou »

shalom skater, but / norton doesnt work, cant get e mail through new windows e mail that replaced outlook express, pest patrol doesnt work except to catch cookies, and one other.
soon im going to a pawn shop and they have a fairly new toshiba that they are holding for me. it has xp and im buying it. would you like an extra pc, pasario f500 6 months old for a fair price of course.

be safe, lg.
lougarou
Weekend Camper

solar

Post by lougarou »

shalom alasaskan.

thanks for the new link will replace the old one on my desk top.
all the wires and links,and charge controller arived yesterday. now if the wind will stop blowing ill get the panels on the roof and i found at norcold a small 3 way fridge that will fit in where the old dometric was just fine.
just wont use the gas, thats what burned up the original. and with the panels and my 85 lb deep cell battery i should be set for days, forever if the sun shines 5 hours a day.
finally a good day. :D

youve been a great help ,and you know my other addresses, your always welcome.

be safe and blessed, LG

ps, someday ill figure out what all these links are for on the site. :rofl:
Alaskan
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1999

Post by Alaskan »

Neal.....a full year between posts in this thread, you made it back

Have a good summer traveling to your new location in Arizona..
MRB
New User
B190 Year: 1992

Controller

Post by MRB »

skater wrote:For the solar charger, if you only have a very small panel you can get away without a controller, because it won't really produce enough current to harm the battery (or do anything useful) - they're for battery maintenance only. But anything more than the tiniest of panels and you should have a controller installed, too.

Sorry to hear about your A/C. But they're standard units, so you should be able to get one from any RV supply place. 11,000 BTU size. A quick Google search turned up this page which lists a low profile model. That said, I'm pretty sure our stock units aren't low profile models. I'm not certain about that, though.

I'm not sure what to say about the deer thing other than "Sorry to hear that." A deer once ran into my parents Suburban, put a nasty dent in the door but fortunately no other damage. And a moose once bit my sister... ;)
Where do you mount the Controller ?
skater
Site Admin

Re: Controller

Post by skater »

MRB wrote:Where do you mount the Controller ?
I think it's "wherever it's convenient" - hopefully people who have done this will chime in...

lougarou
Weekend Camper

Post by lougarou »

SHALOM,

any where out of the way. hooked everything up, then realized i needed to drill a hole thru the compartment wall , messured down 3 inches, and drilled right thru the back of the controller. :D

same hole, new controller, still at the mine,. i've come to hate diamonds.

gear packed , ready to tear down the tent and daughter needs new gas pump, in the tank type. i should have joined a friend in franklin,nc. when i had the chance. now hes lookin fer gold in VT. and im still here.

be safe,LG