Electrical Auxillary Battery/ Isolator Basics

Electrical issues, both 12 volt and 120 volt
Sector9surf
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 0
WBCCI: 0

Electrical Auxillary Battery/ Isolator Basics

Post by Sector9surf »

Here is a good picture explaining the basic setup. This is off a VW so I'm not sure if it's exactly the same but I'd imagine it's same concept and similar. So if you're like me and need a visual explanation, I think this is a good start. With my little bit of RV knowledge I was initially stumped at how this was supposed to work and had to do some research just to figure it out, so hopefully this helps a few people out there.

The isolator, only works with the ignition on and connects the Aux battery with the engine battery so that both can charge ONLY when the engine is running. However, the Aux is always connected to the electric panel. I'd imagine if you're plugged into 120V ac/ city electric there is another separation there that supplies power first to the electric panel, then to an inverter which goes to a charger which goes to the Aux battery (although I haven't gotten that far yet). Anyways, here is the basic diagram of the Aux. battery with an isolator switch, and power to the 12v side of the electric panel or fuse box.

skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Re: Electrical Auxillary Battery/ Isolator Basics

Post by skater »

That's essentially how mine was set up. Nice diagram.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
Sector9surf
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 0
WBCCI: 0

Re: Electrical Auxillary Battery/ Isolator Basics

Post by Sector9surf »