Battery issue ?

Electrical issues, both 12 volt and 120 volt
Choptop
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1990
WBCCI: 0

Battery issue ?

Post by Choptop »

The Interstate battery for the coach, HD24-DP, was installed July of '04, so says the punch outs on the battery. Since I have had it, about a week, I have had lights in the cabin. Yesterday I pushed the status button on the control panel and it indicated the battery was weak. I plugged into shore power for about 3 hours and brought it up to good. This morning I went out and indicator said weak, so I plugged it into shore power for 8 hours, each time I plugged it in it indicated that it was charging and indicated 120 volts at the receptacle. Unplugged , went back about an hour later it indicated weak again. Started the van up and idling, checked the panel and it said good but did not light up charging. Read in an old post about disconnecting coach battery, for a short time Skater, plugged in shore power and had coach lights. Am going out to purchase a low voltage reader so I know what I am getting.
Talked to Randy @ Best Converters today and talked to him about what is recommended as a replacement converter and he still recommends the 4655 that was talked about in a post concerning converters back in '13. Any thoughts ? Thanks in advance.
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Re: Battery issue ?

Post by skater »

July of '04 is an ancient battery. It's shot. Batteries are usually good for 5-6 years, even when well taken care of.

The engine and converter will both charge the battery, and once they stop, the battery will often have a "surface charge." To get a good read on voltage, it's best to either put a small load on it, or wait some time (a few hours) to allow the battery to settle to its actual voltage.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
Choptop
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1990
WBCCI: 0

Re: Battery issue ?

Post by Choptop »

Thanks Skater, I will start looking back in past threads on batteries, I hope to put another 1 under the couch also.