Solar

Electrical issues, both 12 volt and 120 volt
Choptop
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1990
WBCCI: 0

Solar

Post by Choptop »

Good, some what easy to understand, for electrically challenger persons like me. https://www.thefitrv.com/rv-tips/how-mu ... -on-my-rv/
Kentuckian
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1993

Re: Solar

Post by Kentuckian »

James at Fit RV does good work. Nice practical blog post.

For those interested in the fundamentals of each solar system component (as well as an entertaining read) Handy Bob is another great source of experience based information. https://handybobsolar.wordpress.com/
1993 Airstream B190
okaynagan
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1995

Post by okaynagan »

Choptop wrote:Good, some what easy to understand, for electrically challenger persons like me. https://www.thefitrv.com/rv-tips/how-mu ... -on-my-rv/

thanks for this link, going to study it as we plan to put solar in one of these years. This information helps with the planning as we know little about it.
usachris
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1999

Post by usachris »

Great video to show how simple adding solar can be:

https://youtu.be/zUqdU92u724

Music is a bit loud at the start.
Christopher Salazar
1999 B190 #301352
Choptop
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Choptop »

Thanks for the link .
mountaindent
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1992
WBCCI: 19000

Post by mountaindent »

Just curious has anyone used this on their B190 dashboard trickle Charger for their Campervan? On Amazon. Check it out and I am thinking about getting since the old solar panel on the top was deemed bad.

Sunway Solar
Sunway Solar Car Battery Charger 12V Battery Trickle Charger Maintainer Solar Panel Power Charger Portable Backup For RV Motorcycle Boat Marine Trailer Tractor Powersports ATVs Snowmobile
4.1 out of 5 stars 126 customer reviews | 99 answered questions
Price: $38.99 Free Shipping for Prime Members
Coupon
Save an extra 5% when you apply this coupon. Details
6% off item with purchase of 1 items 5 Applicable Promotion(s)
Sold by Eco Home and Fulfilled by Amazon. Gift-wrap available.
Size: 3W Crystalline

1.5W Amorphous Silicon
$25.99

3W Crystalline
$38.99
[Very Easy to Install]-The solar charger panel mounts easily to the windshield or dash and conveniently plugs into your car's 12 volt cigarette lighter! Suction cup available with the solar charger.If you need a Quick Connect 16FT Extension Cable, please check the ASIN: B06X6LJTD6 .
[3W 15V Solar Panel]-Keep your 12V batteries(>20AH) topped off with this solar battery charger ,which helps to manage battery drain in all seasons. Designed to compensate for small, steady battery drains from the vehicle's clock or alarm system.If your battery capacity is lower than 20AH, we advise you to get a sunway solar controller regulator with it for overcharge safety protection,please check the asin B06X9VWZYF.
[Stronger and Durable]-Covered with ultra clear PV glass which is more efficient and also with Durable ABS plastic housing which is stronger. And it is weatherproof (splashproof).
[For Any Rechargeable 12V Battery]-This solar battery trickle charger is the eco-friendly way to maintain the charge of any car, truck, marine , motorcycles , tractors, ATVs, snowmobiles, boat and personal water crafts or RV 12 volt battery!
[LED Indicator]-with Blinking LED charge indicator when charging. When the 12volt battery is full charged, the blue LED light keeps stay on and no blinking.And when the solar battery charger is under strong sun light without be connected to the 12v battery, the blue light may also stay light up.And the solar charger maintainer Includes cigarette lighter adapter and alligator battery terminal clamps.
› See more product details
New (1) from $38.99
Kentuckian
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1993

Post by Kentuckian »

I've used a similar 3 watt solar battery maintainer for my tow car for many years. I hook it up if I'm not going to be using the tow car for a month or so. It uses clamps to the battery terminals and then I place the panel on the roof of the car. Works great to prevent a battery from self discharging while sitting for a long period of time. However, the current output is not sufficient to use it to recharge a drained battery.

I also really like the battery desulfator / maintainer from BatteryMinder. http://www.batteryminders.com/solar-bat ... maintainer.

I have used mine several times to recover old weak batteries. However, be aware that it takes several months to recover a battery with heavy sulfated plates. And if the battery is so bad that it won't hold a charge for a day or two, the BatteryMinder is not likely to recover it.

When I'm not using it to recover weak batteries, I use it as a maintainer.
1993 Airstream B190
mountaindent
Seasoned Traveler

Post by mountaindent »

I like the fact that it can use the cigarette lighter opening to plug into and trickle charge the battery. I noticed in B-190 that the lighter port is live even when the truck is not running so allows for the trickle charge.
Choptop
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Choptop »

Thanks, good info !!
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

mountaindent wrote:I like the fact that it can use the cigarette lighter opening to plug into and trickle charge the battery. I noticed in B-190 that the lighter port is live even when the truck is not running so allows for the trickle charge.
(For the engine battery.)
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
mountaindent
Seasoned Traveler

Post by mountaindent »

Which brings the question how do I keep the house battery charged up? Does that really need a solar panel on the roof? Is there another way?
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

mountaindent wrote:Which brings the question how do I keep the house battery charged up? Does that really need a solar panel on the roof? Is there another way?
Mine has a 12 volt socket next to the antenna/coax switch that is wired to the coach; you could plug the panel in there and put it in a window. In fact that’s what I bought the panel for originally.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
mountaindent
Seasoned Traveler

Post by mountaindent »

Thank you! I feel as if you have a PHd in the B190 realm.