Cell phone booster and external WiFi antenna

Electrical issues, both 12 volt and 120 volt
EdwardM
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1993
WBCCI: 0

Cell phone booster and external WiFi antenna

Post by EdwardM »

We installed both a cell phone booster and a WiFi antenna on the van a while ago but we just made a blog post about it now. Both have been incredibly useful while traveling, now that we are staying in campsites in Mexico we use the WiFi antenna nearly every day.

The antenna attaches to where our CB radio antenna was, with a cable that runs all the way to our dinette. This allows us to create a WiFi hotspot when we're at at the table.

We also installed a cell phone booster. This was really handy when we were travelling in the states, as we were boondocking in remote areas a lot and we had a "binge on" plan with T-Mobile.

The install was pretty easy and straightforward, and definitely worth it. We've posted a more detailed installation guide on our blog, along with links to the hardware.

https://parkthehouse.com/2017/12/19/cel ... i-antenna/

Hope this is helpful,

Edd.ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk
Choptop
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1990

Re: Cell phone booster and external WiFi antenna

Post by Choptop »

And yet another thing that I would like to do. Will have to catch up on your blog again..
Kentuckian
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Kentuckian »

Ed,
Adding hardware to boost WiFi and cell phone reception are both on my list of things to do for our B190 this year.

Now that you have lived with your cell and wifi antenna updates for a little while, what are your thoughts? Anything that you would do different?
1993 Airstream B190
usachris
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1999

Post by usachris »

This is definitely making my “to do”list. Great job Edd!
Christopher Salazar
1999 B190 #301352
GJCamper
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1996
WBCCI: 5019

Post by GJCamper »

I am shopping for a cell booster for my B190. Does anyone have any recommendations? Even though the van is smaller than most RV's I still think I should get one for RV's and not the kind for a car. So far I am looking at a WeBoost made for RV's. I will be way out at my rural property where there is almost no signal so I will replace the omnidirectional antenna with a directional one. I plan to install an extendable flag pole and put the directional antenna on the top, facing the distant cell tower.
Does anyone have advice on this? Does my plan sound ok? These things cost 500 for the system and another couple hundred for the cable, antenna, flag pole etc. Internet research only gets you so far so I am hoping one of us is an expert on this stuff.
WBCCI 5019
1996 Airstream B190 purchased August 2017
Kentuckian
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Kentuckian »

GJCamper,
Just in case you don't already know, there are several informative reviews of the WeBoost and directional antennas on youtube.com. I haven't used the WeBoost, but all of the reviews that I've read/watched seems positive.
1993 Airstream B190
GJCamper
Weekend Camper

Post by GJCamper »

Thank you. I have seen a couple of videos and will check as many as I can find on youtube.

Why is it so hard to disconnect.... :roll:
WBCCI 5019
EdwardM
Weekend Camper

Post by EdwardM »

GJCamper wrote:Thank you. I have seen a couple of videos and will check as many as I can find on youtube.

Why is it so hard to disconnect.... :roll:
It was a difficult choice for us. In the end we chose a simple refurbished kit from weboast, from their website at around $100. We chose this method as we can simply set up a WiFi hotspot from the phone itself, when it's sat in the cradle. We can then connect other phones and laptops through this if needed. We couldn't justify spending another $400 on a system with repeater, when our method works so well for us. Plus you could still attach a dirrectional attenna to this and see how it works for you, then later upgrade if you think it's worth it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
GJCamper
Weekend Camper

Post by GJCamper »

I'll check the website for refurbished systems. Thanks.
WBCCI 5019