Charge Controllers and Dual Battery Systems, a touch on sola

Electrical issues, both 12 volt and 120 volt
Sector9surf
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 0
WBCCI: 0

Charge Controllers and Dual Battery Systems, a touch on sola

Post by Sector9surf »

I'm back at it again, this time with a new project...

I'm looking for a solar charge controller which allows me to set the voltage ranges which will turn it on. What I need is 14v to kick it on and anything 12.7 or under to shut it off... essentially it's my built in disconnect between my aux, and main battery and my alternator so that I can never kill my battery. (I know a solenoid/ isolator would be similar, but a charge controller makes it easier for my application)... The new aux. battery is in the back so basically I'm plugging into a wire/ cig. lighter which is always powered on and on a smaller gauge wire which I believe would blow fuses at anything over 10 amps.

Edit: Here's some great info. I found online about dual battery systems... You can upgrade your battery solenoid or isolator to an electronic one.
http://www.fridge-and-solar.net/dual_bat.htm If your aux. battery is placed in the back you'll have to purchase a run of heavy gauge battery wire (I've tried avoiding this with the idea of using solar charge controllers, and hooking up to a cig outlet, but apparently the isolator is the Voltage Sensitive Relay (VSR) isolator is best way to do it as far as my research has come... if you are going to add solar it can be added on in parallel at a later time.) Cost wise, it won't set you back that much in comparison and the electronics and batteries are where the money goes anyways. Only downside is it requires a bit more labor than the orginal idea I had of hoping to just plug into a cig. lighter, but it will ensure proper charging while my idea is still unknown and would probably have other technical issues... what's nice about the VSR is you don't even need to find a powered ignition wire for it to work which makes for an easy install if like in my case where everything rv related has been disconnected.

You can also use this setup to charge a 3rd or 4th... battery in a pull behind trailer if you choose. (Just wire 3rd and 4th in parallel)

For solar, I've found Renogy to be a good option which I may go with later. All you need is a panel and a charge controller really and there's have the battery monitor built in most also. They sell inverters, converters, etc...