Converter Amperage Choices

Electrical issues, both 12 volt and 120 volt
85Chevota
B190 Year: 1993
WBCCI: 1

Converter Amperage Choices

Post by 85Chevota »

Should I choose a 35amp or 55amp converter?

I've been studying up on the B190 electronics and am ready to replace the original converter with one of the new Progressive Dynamics replacement converters that now allows you to charge all battery types. I'll stick with lead acid for now and will add a battery bank under the couch, but as lithium prices drop in the future I'd like the option to switch to lithium so this seems like a good product. http://www.bestconverter.com/4600-serie ... c_133.html

My biggest question right now is what amperage to choose. This winter I'll be running the propane furnace, TV, 12-volt fridge, and other minor draws like charging a laptop so the 35amp option would likely be sufficient. Are there any drawbacks by just installing a 55amp converter? The price difference is only $10.

I may be missing something with my understanding of electronics.
1993 Airstream B190
190-b-651
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 0
WBCCI: 0

Re: Converter Amperage Choices

Post by 190-b-651 »

This is what I went with 45 amp smart charging for agm and gell cell. It comes with a new filtered board for sensitive electronics it a direct fit for the parallax 6300 only replaces the lower unit. ImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using Tapatalk

skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

The 35 amp model should be sufficient, but no problem going with a larger-amperage model.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
85Chevota
B190 Year: 1993
WBCCI: 1

Post by 85Chevota »

Thank you both for the info. I ordered a 45amp upgrade model from bestconverter.com. Planning a 72 day road trip this December with a lot of boondocking in national forest and BLM land so this should help with the charging from the generator and on the rare occasion I plug into shore power.
1993 Airstream B190
190-b-651
Seasoned Traveler

Post by 190-b-651 »

85Chevota wrote:Thank you both for the info. I ordered a 45amp upgrade model from bestconverter.com. Planning a 72 day road trip this December with a lot of boondocking in national forest and BLM land so this should help with the charging from the generator and on the rare occasion I plug into shore power.
Good choice its well built and all steal case the other some have regrets after receiving it. Im told its mostly plastic im running two 110ah group 31's 220ah total. My testing has been good pulled the system down to 12.2 volts in 5 days of use it was recharged in 5 1/2 hours after plugging in. Good luck the new fuse board is a big help to.

Sector9surf
Weekend Camper

Post by Sector9surf »

Just picked up another project and the converter hums and starts to smell like it's burning within minutes of plugging into to shore power, then the breaker trips. Looks like I'll be swapping my converter also. I want to add a battery monitor and possibly solar as I already have a 135watt panel. Even though I used to do electric work on homes, RV electric has always confused me...

I'm thinking of adding to the battery bank also if it's not too tricky, but the 3rd battery will have to be in a different location. We also have a small Honda generator that we would like to integrate into the setup.

Any simple suggestions to how it should be setup? I see on the bestconverter that they have a remote battery monitor... do the monitors hook up directly to the fused 12v side of the power panel? I'll get in touch with the company before I order, but a quick rundown would be great. Thanks!
190-b-651
Seasoned Traveler

Post by 190-b-651 »

Sector9surf
Its definitely time to replace the converter. The breaker tripping is a concern. Hopefully it is the unit itself not something else causing the problem. The new converter will be better for charging AGM or gell cell batteries if your planning on hooking the aux battery into the existing house battery I suggest dont. Especially if you're wanting a monitor. Two reasons charging voltage is one agm batteries charge at a lower voltage than flooded lead acid your alternator will not be friendly to a agm or gell battery the new converter has smart technology for the agm style battery which your probably going to put inside the cabin somewhere. The other problem is the monitor hooks to the ground side of the system besides one small positive. The monitor hooks to a shunt two grounds from the monitor go to each side of the shunt to read the voltage. Everything in the system needs to be grounded so it flows through the shunt. If you keep the two systems separate things are alot less complicated to get the monitor to be accurate if hooked together everything needs to go through the shunt even the ground side of the start battery and alternator. Being you already have a solar panel you can hook it to the third battery and use it for the main house battery and charge off the converter also leaving it isolated from batteries under the hood. And its possible to add a switch to bring power from the existing house battery if you desire but you need to remember not to charge agm batteries off the alternator when you decide to start the engine.
My batteries are totally separate from the system under the hood two group 31 agm batteries charging off solar and converter have worked great.

Sector9surf
Weekend Camper

Post by Sector9surf »

^Thanks. I have SLA's and I'm going to keep them separate from the engine battery. I'm probably going with the 45A model also because of the upgraded fuse board which filters the DC... (I'm not sure what that means yet, but I'll be adding a few things and it's nice to have a few extra fuse blocks).

Now I just have to figure out if the 2 used 250Ah batteries I have, which sit at 12.4 Volts, will be useable combined with a new one 100Ah one...I see potential problems of mixing and matching, but it's what I already have. Worst case scenario, I might just use one old one by itself and repurpose the battery box compartment. Has anyone on here already done a battery bank relocation or upgrade? (I'm looking to see how it was done and what inline fuses should be installed).
190-b-651
Seasoned Traveler

Post by 190-b-651 »

If I remember correctly different Ah rated batteries can be used together mine is set up with 220Ah I did 4 1/2 days running the furnace lights my c-pap machine tv and dvd player with the solar panel turned off it sat 9 days before the trip without being plugged in or generator to take the peak off the batteries for a test. Starting voltage was 12.8 when I got home it was 12.2. You should be fine with 250Ah remember added batteries are also added weight.
Before you take my word on the mixing Ah check for yourself just to make shure.
I've been wrong before just ask my wife I think she has notes lol...

190-b-651
Seasoned Traveler

Post by 190-b-651 »

Another thing is your going to need a ground bus for the shunt just to help keep everything from having to go into the fuse box. Check out welding lead for your wiring its got a better flow rate and super flexible I also found the braded sheathing to help protect it and heat activated adhesive shrink tubing. It will probably work under water.
And a 300 amp slow blow fues at the batteries with a inline switch. Here's some pictures taken a while ago I've done more sense then but didn't take any more pictures yet.ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage