tv antenna plug

Electrical issues, both 12 volt and 120 volt
Wanderlost
Weekend Camper

tv antenna plug

Post by Wanderlost »

The antenna hook-up plug has a switch w/red light on/off. I'm guessing one way is antenna and the other is cable yes?
B190 1996
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Re: tv antenna plug

Post by skater »

Wanderlost wrote:The antenna hook-up plug has a switch w/red light on/off. I'm guessing one way is antenna and the other is cable yes?
No, the switch and red light indicate the antenna booster is working. The cable/antenna switch in mine is visible in the picture on this page. Is yours set up differently?
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
Wanderlost
Weekend Camper

tv plug

Post by Wanderlost »

Thanks for the photos. My setup is a little different. my sink & stove on passenger side. Refrigerator on driver side.

On the cabinet to the left of the sink I have:
Furnace control
Telephone jack
Water water heater switch

On the closet wall (shelf above stove)
AC/microwave switch
Antenna/Cable TV connection w/booster and 12v outlet
GFCI breaker plug.

On the hood vent
System monitor (gray/black tanks, fresh water, lp, batt, water pump).

Front of couch
Generator switch
Circuit breaker panel

I do not have
Antenna/cable tv selector
Refrigerator coil fan
B190 1996
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

Okay, the coil fan we determined was something only mine has - it was apparently added by a previous owner.

If you have time, would you mind taking pictures of the control panels you described? I'd like to add them to that reference page.

But...somewhere there has to be a way to switch between the cable and antenna hookup. Hmmm... Unless there's an automatic switch somewhere... I don't even know if such a thing exists.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
Planck
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Planck »

Just some more antenna info. On my 93 B190, the red led light would not come on and I could get no signal from the roof antenna. I followed the diagnostic procedure that came with the antenna that previous owner had in the Airstream manual. Turns out the amplifier was shot. This is behind the wall plate. While diagnosing, I determined that the outside cable plug must be joined up with the roof cable somewhere. I replaced the wall switch module with a new one I found on Ebay and now the roof antenna works. The roof antenna is a Winegard round one that does not need to be rotated or aligned. Probably not as good as one that can be aligned, but seems to work pretty good.
DonN

To Planck on Wangard round antenna

Post by DonN »

I assume that you are receiving digital signals with this antenna which was designed before digital tv. Has anyone replaced this kind of antenna with one specifically designed for digital tv, what kind, and what improvement to reception?
Planck
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Planck »

The Winegard anttena called Sensar claims to be designed to optimize digital signal reception. You can read about it here:
http://www.winegard.com/wingman/index.php

Looks like it has to be raised and rotated to use and get best reception. The one on our 93 is a Winegard omnidirectional, has no adjustment and no reference to digital.