Basic (?) 12v wiring question

Electrical issues, both 12 volt and 120 volt
MarkP
B190 Year: 0
WBCCI: 0

Basic (?) 12v wiring question

Post by MarkP »

Ok, let's pretend that I'm a complete novice when it comes to wiring because, well, I'm a complete novice when it comes to wiring. If I wanted to add a 12 volt outlet like this:

To my van in order to power a 12v DC fridge like this:

Where does the negative wire go at the converter? If I'm correct I'll wire the positive to an empty circuit and add a fuse, but it's there sooner in the converter to hook the negative to? I know there's a negative block on the AC side but I don't see anything on the DC side. If it matters at all I've already replaced my stock converter with the 3 stage progressive Dynamics with the upgraded DC board. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited by MarkP on Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Millennial Falcon
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1994

Re: Basic (?) 12v wiring question

Post by Millennial Falcon »

Photos of your actual wiring/layout would help...

And someone may correct me, but your 12-volt system is probably wired so that the negative side of the circuit is the vehicle frame/chassis itself. So, you'd attach the negative side of the connection to any good solid metal connection in that case.

Same way most people connect the negative jumper-cable to a good frame/ground bite, instead of biting on the battery itself during a jump-start.
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Re: Basic (?) 12v wiring question

Post by skater »

Millennial Falcon wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:47 am
Photos of your actual wiring/layout would help...

And someone may correct me, but your 12-volt system is probably wired so that the negative side of the circuit is the vehicle frame/chassis itself. So, you'd attach the negative side of the connection to any good solid metal connection in that case.

Same way most people connect the negative jumper-cable to a good frame/ground bite, instead of biting on the battery itself during a jump-start.
Yep, just hook the red to positive and the black to any convenient ground (metal part).

Make sure the cooler doesn't pull more current than that adapter is good for, though. I don't know the numbers on either; just wanting you to be safe. (In particular, is the red wire heavy enough for the current draw?)
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit