Solar Connection to Converter

Electrical issues, both 12 volt and 120 volt
MarkP
B190 Year: 0
WBCCI: 0

Solar Connection to Converter

Post by MarkP »

I'm thinking of adding a super basic 100w solar setup like this:

to my 1992 B190 to help top off my house battery when not plugged in. I know the basic wiring is solar panel>controller>battery, but would I just connect the positive and negative wires from the controller to the converter? If so, would they just go to the "batt pos" and "batt neg" connections? As you can tell, i've never worked with solar so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Re: Solar Connection to Converter

Post by skater »

That would work. Whether it connects directly to the battery or elsewhere in the system, it'll work. There may be a slight loss of current by running it that way, but probably not enough to worry about, especially given the size of the battery cables running to the fuse panel.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
MarkP
B190 Year: 0
WBCCI: 0

Post by MarkP »

Would there be any potential issues when plugged into shore power, since there would be 2 different charging sources connected at the same time (shore and solar)?
Millennial Falcon
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1994

Post by Millennial Falcon »

I found Nate Yarbrough's detailed instructions on his Explorist.Life site to be explanatory on a STUPID EASY LEVEL that even I could understand. Even if you want to use cheaper parts than he uses in his builds... Check out: https://www.explorist.life/diy-camperva ... ar-project

However, I think you're most interested in his wiring diagrams: https://www.explorist.life/solarwiringdiagrams/

For awhile, he was selling an eBook, but it seems he's migrated all his info to the website and has discontinued the eBook. I'd recommend you purchase it if it was still available, but since it is NOT available anymore... you can snag a copy from my dropbox at THIS LINK. However it was published in late 2018, so the website is probably a better and more up-to-date source.

Honestly, I followed this man's instructions TO THE T, and I am incredibly happy with my system. He recommends BattleBorn and Victron, but even if you go for cheaper parts and controllers... his wiring diagrams remain applicable. Also, he was happy to answer questions I had by email and was a really good responsive guy, even to me... a stranger on the internet. I cannot recommend him enough.
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

MarkP wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:45 pm
Would there be any potential issues when plugged into shore power, since there would be 2 different charging sources connected at the same time (shore and solar)?
No, we do it all the time in our trailer. The controllers sense the voltage in the system and respond appropriately.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit