Center (High) Brake Light

Electrical issues, both 12 volt and 120 volt
Scot
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1994
WBCCI: 0

Center (High) Brake Light

Post by Scot »

My center brake light does not work. Any suggestions on how to diagnose this problem? The bulbs have been replaced.
Millennial Falcon
Seasoned Traveler

Re: Center (High) Brake Light

Post by Millennial Falcon »

I don't know if this helps at all, but I can tell you how to access the rear of the receptacle.

If you have the early-bathroom van like my 1994... there are a few screws holding the mirror/medicine cabinet on the wall. If you remove the cabinet, you can cut the fabric/carpet behind it to access the wiring harness and rear of the top brakelight. I used this info to install my backup camera up there. If I remember correctly, the wiring harness appears to go to the driver's side and then follow the original van's roofline forward.

as for why it is not working, I do not know... but hopefully this gives you a good place to start troubleshooting the harness?
jafarTheVan
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1990

Post by jafarTheVan »

Millennial Falcon wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:58 pm
I don't know if this helps at all, but I can tell you how to access the rear of the receptacle.

If you have the early-bathroom van like my 1994... there are a few screws holding the mirror/medicine cabinet on the wall. If you remove the cabinet, you can cut the fabric/carpet behind it to access the wiring harness and rear of the top brakelight. I used this info to install my backup camera up there. If I remember correctly, the wiring harness appears to go to the driver's side and then follow the original van's roofline forward.

as for why it is not working, I do not know... but hopefully this gives you a good place to start troubleshooting the harness?
I recently bought a backup camera (mirror dash cam with back up camera) and am thinking to install it inside the the top brake light if possible. Do you know where I can look up how the wiring works? Mainly, I want to know how I can connect the wiring internally from top brake light all the way to the driver seat to mirror.
"As you start to walk on the way, the way appears." -Rumi
slapthecat
Seasoned Traveler
WBCCI: 0

Post by slapthecat »

FWIW - I replaced my rear brake light and added a camera - took off the vanity and cut through like suggest above.

To run wires - there is a trough under the "shelf" that's created by the muffin top sitting on top of the van. I ran my wires through there. I took off the stove hood and removed the stainless steel behind the stove (I have a '90 with stovetop on the driver's side) which gave me access to the trough halfway between the front and the rear of the van to help move the wires along. Getting the wires through the corner without binding was the tricky part!

That being said, they do make wireless cams - so you'd only need to get it the 12v power.

I have pictures!!! Just remembered...
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipP ... E4ZFhqcGV3
Key difference - I don't have the stock bathroom. LOTS of water damage - didn't reuse the airstream corner piece when I rebuilt. There's a gallery of those pics at the stie too...
jafarTheVan
Weekend Camper

Post by jafarTheVan »

slapthecat wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:05 am
FWIW - I replaced my rear brake light and added a camera - took off the vanity and cut through like suggest above.

To run wires - there is a trough under the "shelf" that's created by the muffin top sitting on top of the van. I ran my wires through there. I took off the stove hood and removed the stainless steel behind the stove (I have a '90 with stovetop on the driver's side) which gave me access to the trough halfway between the front and the rear of the van to help move the wires along. Getting the wires through the corner without binding was the tricky part!

That being said, they do make wireless cams - so you'd only need to get it the 12v power.

I have pictures!!! Just remembered...
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipP ... E4ZFhqcGV3
Key difference - I don't have the stock bathroom. LOTS of water damage - didn't reuse the airstream corner piece when I rebuilt. There's a gallery of those pics at the stie too...
Wow! That's an awesome set up. Thank you so much.

My plan is to go from top brake light to the driver side back reverse light to get the signal for reverse rear. Then connect it all the way to the driver. I am not super handy like you, so I might not be able to do what you did. After I connect the wires to the back driver side reverse light, do you think I can use a fish tape like this one to connect the wire more easily to the front? Of course, after that, the question is how I get an output from the roof.
Millennial Falcon
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Millennial Falcon »

jafarTheVan wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:58 pm
My plan is to go from top brake light to the driver side back reverse light to get the signal for reverse rear. Then connect it all the way to the driver. I am not super handy like you, so I might not be able to do what you did. After I connect the wires to the back driver side reverse light, do you think I can use a fish tape like this one to connect the wire more easily to the front? Of course, after that, the question is how I get an output from the roof.
I was going to install the Amazon rearview camera myself, probably the same one you have that straps over the mirror...

but then, I got lazy and found out that the local radio-install-shop would wire it all up for me for only $75.

And for $75... it wasn't worth my frustration. I was so happy, I even bought a remote start kit and electric door lock fob kit form them and had em install it.
jafarTheVan
Weekend Camper

Post by jafarTheVan »

Lucky you! I called several places and they were asking 250-350 dollars! I guess one of the perks of living in the bay area!

@slapthecat My B190 model is 1990 and the internal wiring is a bit different I think.

I still haven't figured out where the internal wiring from the brake lights are to the driver seat. Any help would be appreciated.

Millennial Falcon wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:19 pm
jafarTheVan wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:58 pm
I was going to install the Amazon rearview camera myself, probably the same one you have that straps over the mirror...

but then, I got lazy and found out that the local radio-install-shop would wire it all up for me for only $75.

And for $75... it wasn't worth my frustration. I was so happy, I even bought a remote start kit and electric door lock fob kit form them and had em install it.