An Idea for Solar Panel Installation

Electrical issues, both 12 volt and 120 volt
kstills
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1996

An Idea for Solar Panel Installation

Post by kstills »

The roof space being at a premium, I'm thinking of installing flexible panes mounted on a pivoting frame that would travel locked onto the side of the camper, but when camped could be rotated like wings to follow the sun. The weight shouldn't be extreme, and another advantage would be that it would provide shade for the windows both while traveling and while deployed.
Truth be told, I've never seen another installation like this, so I'm not sure if there's something I'm missing which would make it impractical. However, if it would work, I could reasonable get 1200watts of solar without taking up any roof space at all.
Sub2RainEN
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1990
WBCCI: 0

Re: An Idea for Solar Panel Installation

Post by Sub2RainEN »

Did you ever do this? I’m just seeing your post now. There is a YouTuber, PandaMonium, who did this on her first RV. She has a class A now IIRC. But she started out in a Lazy Daze Class C with a solar awning. I’d never seen anything like it before or since, but you could probably learn from her old videos.

I think she later added rigid panels over the back and driver side windows for more solar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Proud 1990 B190 newbie owner