Chassis (Left) Battery drain

Electrical issues, both 12 volt and 120 volt
Roger
B190 Year: 0
WBCCI: 5888

Chassis (Left) Battery drain

Post by Roger »

I have a chassis (LEFT) battery problem of going dead in my '94 Bvan. I find that I have a wire connected to the Auxiliary Battery Relay that shows to be the problem. Because I have no wiring diagram for this chassis I'm at a loss. The wire is a lighter guage yellow wire that goes into a harness with a heavier guage yellow wire. I should also note that the above is true with the Alternator disconnected.

Any help would be appreciated.

Roger
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Re: Chassis (Left) Battery drain

Post by skater »

Roger wrote:I have a chassis (LEFT) battery problem of going dead in my '94 Bvan. I find that I have a wire connected to the Auxiliary Battery Relay that shows to be the problem. Because I have no wiring diagram for this chassis I'm at a loss. The wire is a lighter guage yellow wire that goes into a harness with a heavier guage yellow wire. I should also note that the above is true with the Alternator disconnected.
You got me on that one. If no one has any better ideas, I'd be tempted to disconnect it, tape it off, and see what stops working...

Theoretically there should be only three or four wires on that relay - hot from the engine electrical system, a sensing wire that tells the relay when to turn on, switched power to the coach system, and a ground. The yellow almost has to be the sensing wire, but I can't figure out why it would be drawing power, unless the relay itself is bad... (not sure how you checked it).
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
billybtalkin

Post by billybtalkin »

Roger wrote:I have a chassis (LEFT) battery problem of going dead in my '94 Bvan. I find that I have a wire connected to the Auxiliary Battery Relay that shows to be the problem. Because I have no wiring diagram for this chassis I'm at a loss. The wire is a lighter guage yellow wire that goes into a harness with a heavier guage yellow wire. I should also note that the above is true with the Alternator disconnected.

Any help would be appreciated.

Roger
Hello, I had a similar problem with 94' b190. New Interstate battery would drain after several days of van sitting. After much trouble shooting found that the carbon monoxide detector light was drawing power. I put a switchable cut off on the ground post of battery between ground post and ground battery terminal so when parked I just lift lever to disconnect ground. Worked perfectly, no problems since. Cost about $30 for switch and 10 minutes install. Hope this helps... PS I am desirious to sell mine and would like to know where to post on this site, thanks.
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

billybtalkin wrote:PS I am desirious to sell mine and would like to know where to post on this site, thanks.
Post a new thread in the For Sale forum. :)
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
Roger
B190 Year: 0
WBCCI: 5888

Battery Drain Update

Post by Roger »

OOOPPPS- Made a error in the write up. I said it was the Aux Bat Relay and I meant the Eng Starter Relay. Lifting the 16Ga yellow and checking resistance to ground shows 4 ohms. Leaving this wire off engine and van runs ok but noticed that the starter turns over very slow. I also have lifted Power Distribution Fuse "J" that has fixed the short BUT has the following: Engine starts good, Can't get into take out of Park, No display for the odometer.

Original write up:

I have a chassis (LEFT) battery problem of going dead in my '94 Bvan. I find that I have a wire connected to the Auxiliary Battery Relay that shows to be the problem. Because I have no wiring diagram for this chassis I'm at a loss. The wire is a lighter guage yellow wire that goes into a harness with a heavier guage yellow wire. I should also note that the above is true with the Alternator disconnected