Electrical issues, both 12 volt and 120 volt
babsy
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1998
WBCCI: 0

converter trouble shooting

Post by babsy »

Hello
I have the 1998 B190. I'm trying to figure out if the converter is bad. When plugged into my garage 110 outlet (with plug adapter) the fan is running but the monitor panel is NOT reading Charging. When I have the motor running it DOES read charging.

I have the house battery on a charger but it's not fully charged yet and is reading around 11.4 When I take it off the charger and plug into my 110 garage it reads 12.4 on my multi reader. So it does go up but not to 13.5 like I read it should? Could it be because the battery is not up to full charge yet and that's why? Could it be a converter fuse? If so, where do I find the converter fuse? I know where my panel is but don't see any fuses for the converter there?
What else should I do to determine if it is a bad converter?

If it is a bad converter what is the simplest replacement that fits in the space and easy to install?

Any help Appreciated.

Thanks
Babsy
babsy
Weekend Camper

Re: converter trouble shooting

Post by babsy »

If I do have to replace would this one still be the one to get? I found from a post from many many years ago. Would it fit in 1998?

Progressive Dynamics PD9260CV Inteli-Power 9200 Series Converter/Charger with Charge Wizard - 60 Amp

or

Progressive Dynamics PD9245CV Inteli-Power 9200 Series Converter/Charger with Charge Wizard - 45 Amp

Appreciate any help.

Thanks
Babsy
babsy
Weekend Camper

Post by babsy »

follow up- so the battery was the culprit. With new AGM while plugged in to power my monitor is indicating that it is charging and the fan not running all the time as its not working as hard to try and charge my old AGM.

Is the old Magnetek 6332 converter bad for a new battery? I thought I read somewhere that it could over charge? Should I it be replaced?

Thanks
Babsy
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

babsy wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 6:40 pm
follow up- so the battery was the culprit. With new AGM while plugged in to power my monitor is indicating that it is charging and the fan not running all the time as its not working as hard to try and charge my old AGM.

Is the old Magnetek 6332 converter bad for a new battery? I thought I read somewhere that it could over charge? Should I it be replaced?

Thanks
Babsy
Yes, that old converter will overcharge and damage your expensive AGM battery. Best to upgrade to one of the ones you listed. I used the 60 amp because it fit in the same spot as the old converter (under the fuse panel) - I wasn't sure the 45 amp would have. But the 60 amp is overkill, so if the dimensions of the 45 work, go with that instead.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
babsy
Weekend Camper

Post by babsy »

Thank you very much for the reply. I kind of thought I should go ahead and change it anyway. The guy at the same company you ordered from said the 45 kit should fit just like the 6332. He said it’s the whole kit so comes with the entire box that slips in and has new fuse board as well.

Fingers crossed it works and doesn’t mess up anything else. I’m going to have an RV mechanic install it so hopefully he is familiar and will do right at $185 an hour. 😖

Thanks again
Babsy