Light bulbs...

Electrical issues, both 12 volt and 120 volt
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Light bulbs...

Post by skater »

A list of the bulbs...more as I find them. These are from my '91. Later, I'll add pictures of each fixture.

Florescent lights: F15-T8 (need 2)
Bathroom light: 1141
Reading/cab dome lights lights: 168
Exterior light: 93 (I think)
Range light: 912

Feel free to post below if yours are different!
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
charlesf
New User
WBCCI: 0

Re: Light bulbs...

Post by charlesf »

I have replaced all my lamps with led equivalents. The florescent lamps can be replaced with led strips which can be cut to the needed length. bypass the ballast and use the existing switch to power the led strips with 12 volt. I can camp for a week or two without worrying about running the house battery down. The led lamp are pricey but the are worth the peace of mind.
Good Luck

Charles
Tucsonan
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1994

Post by Tucsonan »

charlesf wrote:I have replaced all my lamps with led equivalents. The florescent lamps can be replaced with led strips which can be cut to the needed length. bypass the ballast and use the existing switch to power the led strips with 12 volt. I can camp for a week or two without worrying about running the house battery down. The led lamp are pricey but the are worth the peace of mind.
Good Luck

Charles

Thanks Charles, that is a great idea.
1994 B190, Sahuarita Arizona

"... but it's a dry heat!"
Kentuckian
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1993

Post by Kentuckian »

Charles,
Would you, please, post some more detail about the "LED strip" that you are talking about? Where did you get it? What is the part number?
The florescent lamps can be replaced with led strips which can be cut to the needed length
1993 Airstream B190
Alaskan
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1999

Post by Alaskan »

One good source for 12V LED strip is eBay... in various lengths by-the-foot
skater
Site Admin
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

We've replaced quite a few bulbs in the trailer with LEDs, and we love them, since we do boondock from time to time. We've replaced bulbs in every fixture that we use regularly. I bought all of mine from led4rv.com - the guy that runs it has been very helpful and friendly, with fast delivery that's free if you order more than a certain amount. In fact, we've replaced so many that I'm at the point now where I want to replace some of the early LEDs I bought with some of the newer bulbs that are even nicer, moving the original LEDs to less-used fixtures. I haven't done any florescent conversions, because the trailer only has two florescent fixtures, and we practically never use them.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
Kentuckian
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Kentuckian »

I had previously changed all the B190's fixtures from bulbs to LEDs. However, I did not convert the flourscent in the aisle and over the sink. Those two light fixtures are current hogs that I am now ready to convert. I will look into the strip LEDs. Thanks for the tip!
1993 Airstream B190
Mark
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1997

Post by Mark »

I just changed all the bulbs and fluorescents in my rig to LEDs. I'm getting that thing pretty buffed out!
If it ain't fun - it ain't done!
EdwardM
Weekend Camper

Post by EdwardM »

We just replaced all our bulbs with LEDs we got from amazon.

We replaced the main fluorescent, it gives off a bright light that seems almost exactly the same as the fluorescent, and the bulbs seem pretty good quality. We did need to wire them in ourselves, and not use the supplied wires as they were way too thin. A bit of a pain, but good value. I think if I did it again, I'd replace the main fluorescent with an LED strip, rather than a bulb type replacement, as you have to wire it in anyway.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BT ... UTF8&psc=1

We also replaced the main house lights, they were super easy, and just involved changing the bulbs. The LEDs we got gave off the same warm yellow as the bulbs, and are about the same brightness.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013S ... UTF8&psc=1

Slowly getting ready for boondocking!
SeaQuinn
Seasoned Traveler

Post by SeaQuinn »

Same here :). Replaced all bulbs to LED except for the tubes over the sink and near the a/c. I also replaced the outside pourch light with a neat yellow bug one. They all work great, use way less power, and help keep the coach cool. Of course at night, the bride and son like the little stove light to stay on. I haven't found a replacement for that one yet. Has anybody else?
EdwardM
Weekend Camper

Post by EdwardM »

Hi Seaquin, we replaced the light bulb with an LED from Amazon, it's a lot whiter than the yellow bulb, but it does the job.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00SE3SI ... op?ie=UTF8

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk
SeaQuinn
Seasoned Traveler

Post by SeaQuinn »

Awesome and Thank you! $4.49 with Amazon Prime. I'll have them Thursday. Love this site :-)
Woodsywizz

Post by Woodsywizz »

I like the 'yellower' look from automotive bulbs for the reading/couch lights. They can be found in a wide range of wattages - I'm using 7.5W reading light bulbs (#89) and 12W couch lighting (forget, oops). But you can range between 5W - dim but readable - and 25W, which is ridiculously bright. The LEDs come in one flavor: too bright for me, too 'white' a light for me. We're all different....