Additional Outlets?

Electrical issues, both 12 volt and 120 volt
reday
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1995
WBCCI: 0

Additional Outlets?

Post by reday »

We have 2 similar threads on this same topic...

http://b190.com/modules.php?name=Forums ... opic&t=420

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Has anyone added additional outlets? I have only two on my 95. One inside the entrance on the left that is downstream from the one with the GFI over the microwave.

I would like to add some additional outlets so I don't have cords stinging around and was wondering what others have done...

Thinking about high on the passenger side where everything is already. Outside on that same side and (this one's easy) in the back where the power comes in.
Ralph & Margie Day<div>Lizzy the Borderline Collie</div><div>Old Hickory, TN</div><div>Between 'streams...</div><div><div></div>
weekender
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1993

Added outlets

Post by weekender »

The former owners of our 93, added one on the right side of the sofa, close to front and low. The wanted a reading light for the front seats, as the overheads were/are hardly bright enough.

Steve
reday
Weekend Camper

Thanks...

Post by reday »

I assume they came right off the breaker box on that side? Where was the wire routed to get to the outlet and where was the outlet mounted?

It's the routing without "seeing" the wires and a "finished" look that I am going for...
Ralph & Margie Day<div>Lizzy the Borderline Collie</div><div>Old Hickory, TN</div><div>Between 'streams...</div><div><div></div>
weekender
Seasoned Traveler

Post by weekender »

Hi Ralph and Margie,
I'll have to take a look at it this evening-- I know from the exterior, it is a clean installation-- looks like it was done by airstream. I'll pull up the couch tonight and let you know what it looks like from behind

Steve
Last edited by weekender on Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
weekender
Seasoned Traveler

Post by weekender »

Hey Ralph and Margie
Here are some pix

Steve
Last edited by weekender on Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
reday
Weekend Camper

Thanks again...

Post by reday »

Good location as far as taking advantage of the breaker box. A couple more questions for you.

Did you take the couch out to take the pics? If so, yours sure must be easier than mine!

I think I could remove the Univolt and have enough access for the install.

Could not tell for sure, but assume this new plug is tied in to a breaker. Did they install another one?

Thanks again... will start a couple of new threads with additional thoughts/ideas.
weekender
Seasoned Traveler

Post by weekender »

I did not take the couch out to take the pix, just lifted the front edge like I was going to drop it into bed mode. Pix were taken with my blackberry phone, so not great quality, but it was easy to reach in. I believe they just tapped into the existing circuit and breaker, but I'll look again.

I'm sure the install was done at the RV dealership where the previous owner bought it-- I have the receipt, but it does not say if they had to take the sofa out or not. Sofa looks like it is just 4 bolts-- but wow what a pain to get to!

I just completed changing the drawer under the sofa to just a hinged door compartment-- much more room and now I have a place to store longer items. I thought about taking out the sofa to finish the compartment more, but decided it was too much work for the benefits.

As a side note, my 93 has an exterior outlet in the refrigerator compartment. The fridge takes up one of the plugs, but there is still one free, and it is relatively protected from the elements.

Steve
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

I love that outlet idea. I might have to do that to mine... Plugging in the laptop now (yeah, I'm really roughing it :rofl:) requires stringing the cord across the floor. My only change is that I'd try to put in a 12 volt outlet, too - there aren't enough in the camper.

I also like the idea of making that drawer a hinged compartment, and you're right, that would add a good deal of space.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
weekender
Seasoned Traveler

Post by weekender »

Hey Skater

The hinged compartment was really easy. Mine had 7 screws that attached the drawer to the oak facade, then some gentle prying, as there are also some hidden staples. The hinges used throughout the camper are very generic-- got a package at my local True Value-- they were ~$3.00. I was lucky that the previous owner had a couple of the stock latches left with the camper, but I have seen them at my local RV store. I hinged mine exactly the same way as the compartment under the frig. I removed the drawer tracks and stored the drawer just in case I wanted to return it to the original. By the way, if you flip the oak front 180 degrees, there is already the finger cut out. Took me less than an hour!
reday
Weekend Camper

Post by reday »

Excellent idea on the drawer... I will study that one too. Those latches are not cheap. I have seen them anywhere from 14 -21 $$$. The magnetic catches seem to work OK.

Like I said, I think the plug can be installed by sliding the univolt out - think I would probably add a breaker when I did it.
Alaskan
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1999

Post by Alaskan »

Several added...

End of couch behind drivers seat...

Hanging Locker...

Upper bunk...used for flat screen, PC etc....(no longer used for sleeping)