Additional Outlets - wiring under sink...

Electrical issues, both 12 volt and 120 volt
reday
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1995
WBCCI: 0

Additional Outlets - wiring under sink...

Post by reday »

OK, poking around looking for places to tie in additional places to plug things in... I found that there is around 4 feet of extra wire stuffed into the wall under and behind the sink. It leads to the plug that is at the door. This would be a great spot to mount an outside plug and looks like that might be what AS was thinking. Does anyone have a plug there like it was an option or have you added one?
Ralph & Margie Day<div>Lizzy the Borderline Collie</div><div>Old Hickory, TN</div><div>Between 'streams...</div><div><div></div>
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Re: Additional Outlets - wiring under sink...

Post by skater »

reday wrote:OK, poking around looking for places to tie in additional places to plug things in... I found that there is around 4 feet of extra wire stuffed into the wall under and behind the sink. It leads to the plug that is at the door. This would be a great spot to mount an outside plug and looks like that might be what AS was thinking. Does anyone have a plug there like it was an option or have you added one?
Outside? On mine, there's one mounted aft of the second door, almost directly below the water fill.

Here it is in the gallery - look behind the lowest hinge of the side doors.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
reday
Weekend Camper

Post by reday »

That's right where I would like one and probably the reason for the extra wire. It's just not there on mine... I even went out and checked just in case I was really loosing it.

Weekender mentioned the extra outlet where the fridge is plugged in. I had thought about that one if I really needed it. Don't know if it is GFI protected. Could just run an extension to the power post if I needed to.
Ralph & Margie Day<div>Lizzy the Borderline Collie</div><div>Old Hickory, TN</div><div>Between 'streams...</div><div><div></div>
reday
Weekend Camper

Another thought...

Post by reday »

Skater,

Took another look and had another thought. I do have cable/phone hook-up out there near where your AC outlet is located. Sure don't need the phone and can bring the cable in some where else. The cable didn't work when I tried it over the weekend anyway (got to figure that one out???). So, why shouldn't I take that out and feed the AC to replacement receptacle instead of the out of place cable/phone hook-up - shouldn't that be on the driver side rear anyway??? That's where everyone else puts them and where you would find the hook ups at the campground.
skater
Site Admin

Re: Another thought...

Post by skater »

reday wrote:Weekender mentioned the extra outlet where the fridge is plugged in. I had thought about that one if I really needed it. Don't know if it is GFI protected. Could just run an extension to the power post if I needed to.
It is protected in mine - in mine, the GFI outlet is first in the line, so it protects everything "behind" it on the wire. I believe it has to be to be up to code, since it could get wet there.
reday wrote:Took another look and had another thought. I do have cable/phone hook-up out there near where your AC outlet is located. Sure don't need the phone and can bring the cable in some where else. The cable didn't work when I tried it over the weekend anyway (got to figure that one out???). So, why shouldn't I take that out and feed the AC to replacement receptacle instead of the out of place cable/phone hook-up - shouldn't that be on the driver side rear anyway??? That's where everyone else puts them and where you would find the hook ups at the campground.
In mine, the phone/cable hookups are behind the passenger wheel (you can see it between the fridge and water heater) - and I agree the other side of the camper would make more sense, but it's also more wiring they would have had to do (and will be harder for you to move it).

As for it not working, there's not a lot that can go wrong there - it's basically just a cable. Wanderlost's '96 has a splitter behind the panel where you connect the cable inside the camper, but earlier versions have a slide switch to pick cable/antenna. I would suspect that the cable is disconnected behind that panel (you can get to it from the closet in the back).

Alaskan
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1999

Post by Alaskan »

Added 4 in the 1991....

Area above hanging locker.....chargers & video equipment

Plus 12-to-110 volt inverter..

Upper area (picture below)...no longer a bunk, flat screen TV/Computer Monitor, DVD player, etc

In the 1999...couple added.

Last edited by Alaskan on Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
reday
Weekend Camper

Thanks...

Post by reday »

Good locations... Can't have to many. I hate extension cords draping across things. I say this as I use my laptop in the living room plugged into one. My excuse is I had rather watch basketball on HD up here rather than on the computer in the basement office... One of these days I'll give the house needs higher priority...

BTW, what is the toggle switch in the last picture? Also, is the detector LP? I need to add one...
Alaskan
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1999

Post by Alaskan »

yep...that is an LP detector and for some reason a toggle switch was installed so it could be turned off.
reday
Weekend Camper

Post by reday »

Had one that was overly sensitive to hair spray... wished it had a switch.
reday
Weekend Camper

Post by reday »

skater wrote:
reday wrote:Weekender mentioned the extra outlet where the fridge is plugged in. I had thought about that one if I really needed it. Don't know if it is GFI protected. Could just run an extension to the power post if I needed to.
It is protected in mine - in mine, the GFI outlet is first in the line, so it protects everything "behind" it on the wire. I believe it has to be to be up to code, since it could get wet there.

In mine, the phone/cable hookups are behind the passenger wheel (you can see it between the fridge and water heater) - and I agree the other side of the camper would make more sense, but it's also more wiring they would have had to do (and will be harder for you to move it).

As for it not working, there's not a lot that can go wrong there - it's basically just a cable. Wanderlost's '96 has a splitter behind the panel where you connect the cable inside the camper, but earlier versions have a slide switch to pick cable/antenna. I would suspect that the cable is disconnected behind that panel (you can get to it from the closet in the back).

Found that my fridge is protected too. What I have figured out that is not protected is the microwave. It is on the same circuit as the AC... not a protected circuit. Wonder what if anything needs to be done to resolve that? Part of that silliness with the AC/Microwave switch. You would not want GFI on the AC, but I would think you would want it on the Microwave which is within reach of the bath as well as the kitchen sink.

As to the TV cable/antenna - I changed the feed from the curb of the amplified wall plate to the feed on the opposite side and it now works.
skater
Site Admin

Post by skater »

reday wrote:... but I would think you would want it on the Microwave which is within reach of the bath as well as the kitchen sink.
Yeah, but you're not likely to drop the microwave in the sink/tub either. :)

I really don't know - I'm just guessing.

reday
Weekend Camper

BZZZZZ!!!

Post by reday »

Yeah, but you could reach over to get a cup of coffee out of the microwave while you are taking a shower... 8O
skater
Site Admin

Re: BZZZZZ!!!

Post by skater »

reday wrote:Yeah, but you could reach over to get a cup of coffee out of the microwave while you are taking a shower... 8O
You could cook dinner, too! :rofl: