Switching to 12 volts...

Electrical issues, both 12 volt and 120 volt
reday
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1995
WBCCI: 0

Switching to 12 volts...

Post by reday »

It would be nice to have a switch to turn on inside lights (like the existing one to turn on the outside light) located on the end of the cabinet inside the door. Has anyone added such?

Maybe one of those closet lights mounted there that you tap to turn on would be enough to get you in when it's dark. The switch would be nice though...

Can you tell I've finished tearing out carpet and putting in new floor. Ready to move on to another project...
Ralph & Margie Day<div>Lizzy the Borderline Collie</div><div>Old Hickory, TN</div><div>Between 'streams...</div><div><div></div>
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

Yeah, I'm with you there - I'd like to have a switch like that, too.

One thing is that the lights inside aren't wired three-way, so it's going to be harder to make them work "normally". But getting a wire to the lights is probably the most difficult part - all the way on the other side of the camper and probably through some walls.

I'd like to put a small white neon light over the sink to light up that spot of the counter a little better. That would be easy to wire up to that switch (although, again, not three-way), and it'd probably be bright enough to get you into the camper easily. (Behind the soft panel above the door, there is a metal conduit-like thing that runs wiring for the camper... so it's basically an easy run from there to the switch.)

I need to do the carpet in mine. My brother gave me some nice floor tile to put in...now I just have to find the time to do it! First trip is in about two weeks.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
reday
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1995
WBCCI: 0

Post by reday »

I have a 12v florescent over the sink - it is nice. Do not know if it was an add on or not. Will have to ask the PO.

I'm going to think about the master switch. Since all lights are on one circuit you could simply switch the hot side at the fuse box.
Ralph & Margie Day<div>Lizzy the Borderline Collie</div><div>Old Hickory, TN</div><div>Between 'streams...</div><div><div></div>