Any suggestions on installing a rear-view camera on the roof

Electrical issues, both 12 volt and 120 volt
OnTheRoad
Weekend Camper

Any suggestions on installing a rear-view camera on the roof

Post by OnTheRoad »

I'm going to be installing a rear-view camera in my b190.

I want to install the camera on the roof of the van, but need to figure out how to get the wires there (one rca video cable, and one 12 volt power cable).

I've been considering drilling into the vent in the closet, and running the wires up through the vent pipe, but I'm not sure that's a good way to go. I could also drill a hole in the roof, but want to make sure I don't crack the fiberglass, and that it stays waterproof.

Any other suggestions (or warnings?)
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

I like your first idea. There's already one wire going up there (for the TV antenna/luggage rack), so if you can figure out where that wire is routed, I'd use the same routing. I'm pretty sure that comes out with the vent pipe, but I could be wrong.

In any case you'll need a good sealant for the fiberglass after you run the wire.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
OnTheRoad
Weekend Camper

Post by OnTheRoad »

I did end up going through the vent in the closet, and the camera is mounted on the roof and working now.

It was a little tricky pulling the cable through the vent pipe. There's a sharp turn in there, and I wasn't able to pull the RCA plug through. I ended up cutting the cable in half so I could pull it through, then reattached it.
RobertL
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1993
WBCCI: 0

Post by RobertL »

We have one on ours, installed on the rear license plate holder (its tiny) but we have a little monitor mounted next to the headlight switch. It engages when you put the vehicle in reverse. Works nice and its very tiny so know one notices it.
Alaskan
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1999

Post by Alaskan »

Wireless....???
RobertL
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1993

Post by RobertL »

The model is a VRBCS300W
Wireless backup camera and monitor
Company is VR3- virtual reality video labs.
Its a complete kit with ability to hard wire monitor or use a 12volt converter.

It works great and like I noted earlier, it just sits on the top of the rear license plate mounting screw and is barely noticeable. :D