Small Switches--sources sought

Electrical issues, both 12 volt and 120 volt
Keystone
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1994

Small Switches--sources sought

Post by Keystone »

We're starting to see some intermittent failures on switches, both automotive and coach, so if someone has solved or replaced these, please let me know:

Coach Monitor Panel: our monitor panel does not always come on with the toggle switch. Pump on the same panel is very reliable; it's just the monitor that sometimes fails to light. I checked the connections, and they are fine. I'm suspecting the toggle switch itself, but wonder if others have seen this. I looked on Web but have not seen a replacement monitor panel, so I hope this can be repaired. How do you fix the toggle switch, if that's the problem?

Auto Windows and Locks: Power window switches and power door lock switches in the door handle--must these be purchased from Ford, or are there aftermarket options that work? Has anyone replaced these (I have a 1994)? The passenger-side window control has quit all together, and the others are kind of a game of roulette. I hate to tempt fate...

Auto Ventilation: This is really weird, but it appears that the van's ventilation blower will not, uh, blow if the engine is under load. Really--we're just had 2800 miles to test the theory! This is true for any setting of the air (vent, floor, AC, or heat). So, to get airflow to the passenger and driver, you have to let up on the gas. Has anyone seen that before? There are many electrical parts associated with the blower system, so it would be nice to have a clue which to check out first. This problem is especially bad in winter in Colorado and in summer in Nevada, as you might expect!

Thanks for contemplating our conundrums!
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

For the power windows: I tried to replace the plastic covers on mine, and failed - RockAuto didn't have them in stock and couldn't get them (I didn't try elsewhere). You might try a junkyard, but if you're thinking of replacing the actual switches you might have better luck than I did. (Mine work fine, except one of the plastic covers is broken.)

For the ventilation: This sounds like a vacuum leak to me. I think the HVAC panel is vacuum operated (it usually is in Fords of this era), and if you have a leak, under certain conditions the panel won't work correctly.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
Keystone
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Keystone »

I love this site! Skater: I had no idea that the HVAC depends on vacuum, but now that I've learned that, I've got a discussion point with the couple of mechanics that might be able to chase down the leak and fix it. Thanks for the tip!

Progress to date on the switch thing: Turns out the window switches are ubiquitous for many Ford models and can be found cheaply at NAPA and the like, so that problem is solved for $15. The power lock switches are not readily available aftermarket, so I'm going the junkyard route for that part. If I stumble across any switch covers in the process, I'll let you know.

Still seeking suggestions on the monitor panel toggle switch. Thanks, all!
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

Keystone wrote:I love this site! Skater: I had no idea that the HVAC depends on vacuum, but now that I've learned that, I've got a discussion point with the couple of mechanics that might be able to chase down the leak and fix it. Thanks for the tip!
I'm not entirely certain it is vacuum, but plenty of other Ford vehicles from that era are, so it wouldn't surprise me. My '99 Cougar's HVAC controls are vacuum operated, and my brother's '97 Lincoln is the same way.
Progress to date on the switch thing: Turns out the window switches are ubiquitous for many Ford models and can be found cheaply at NAPA and the like, so that problem is solved for $15. The power lock switches are not readily available aftermarket, so I'm going the junkyard route for that part. If I stumble across any switch covers in the process, I'll let you know.
Really? $15? Wow...I figured it'd be a lot more.
Still seeking suggestions on the monitor panel toggle switch. Thanks, all!
I don't have any specific suggestions for this one, sorry. :(
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
Roadhog
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1995
WBCCI: 8063

Post by Roadhog »

I had a rocker switch go bad in my 95 B 190 van system monitor panel. I wrote to the manufacture and they did not even have the courtesy to respond on buying parts, the switch in particular. I was able to find one in an electronic salvage and junk parts place. I have further done some research and think that you can match up your needs at galco.com and look at item #54-075-BP. What you need is a spst (single pole single throw) momentary rocker switch. I am not sure about the size so measure yours and check it against the spec given. They are made by NTE electronics. The cost I see is $2.43 but not sure about the shipping.
Hope this helps put you on the right path.
Happy Trails, Howard
Keystone
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Keystone »

Thanks, Howard!! That sounds like exactly what I need for the monitor panel. I'll order one. I think the size is called mini-rocker, but I'll measure carefully to be sure.

Update on the power locks: I found a junkyard driver's side power lock switch from a 1994 Ford Explorer (I have a 94 BVan), popped it in, and it works perfectly. Cost about $15. Note that the switch for the passenger side is not the same shape, so isn't interchangeable with the driver's size. My passenger-side swith currently only locks, doesn't unlock, so I'll still like to find that replacement, but it's not as urgent.

Update on the HVAC: probably should move this conversation out of electrical because it was not a switch, but here's the rest of the story. Indeed, as Skater suspected, problem was a, or rather several, vacuum leaks. Even at a shop with the smoke system for vacuum leak chasing, this is a labor-intensive undertaking. HVAC now works under all but the most intensive high-load situations, a vast improvement over previously, and I'm lighter by $550, but cool in the summer and, with luck, warm in the winter--which is nice!