Oh Battery- where the heck do you go and where are you?

Electrical issues, both 12 volt and 120 volt
RobertL
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1993
WBCCI: 0

Oh Battery- where the heck do you go and where are you?

Post by RobertL »

Ok So now I feel really foolish.

I looked under the hood yesterday when we picked up our new to us 93 up in San Diego and discovered. (looking from the front) under the hood.

1. The smallest battery I have ever seen in a truck on the left(passenger side) and a regular battery on the right(driver side).

After trying to charge the coach battery(which one I do not know?) I went off to Wally World and did what any Las Vegan does and purchase new batteries.

Explanation- In the Mojave a battery last only about 2 years. Does not matter what kind it is- 115 degrees of summer sun does that without exception. SO most Las Vegans purchase a battery with a 3 year warranty and never pay for another battery.

1 =regular battery for the make and engine of the van, and 1 =deep cycle marine/rv battery.

PROBLEM- The Van battery fits no problem on the right(driver side)

The other side I found that the area is extremely narrow, but long- far too narrow to fit the 18 month warranty battery that I purchased.

Sooooo How and what does anyone use for batteries with a 460 behemoth engine tucked snuggly under the tiny space provided?

Help please!
weekender
Seasoned Traveler

Post by weekender »

The house battery on a 93 (same year as mine) is a size likely designed exclusively for Ford to fit that exact space under the hood. Just this past August, mine died in the middle of a 2 week tour of Nova Scotia, PEI and Cape Bretton. After stops at perhaps 6 auto stores and 2 RV dealerships, most of whom seemed to be seeing our battery for the first time, I ended up at a Ford dealer-- battery was in stock and in my hands in 5 minutes. Expensive--$150!. Earlier models of our van had a more standard deep cycle battery, later models move the battery to the back of the van and again to a more standard deep cycle. I think some auto parts stores can order the battery for less than you will find it a a Ford dealer, but it will be rare for them to stock it.

I believe there are some who have moved, the battery to under the sofa and changing to Optima batteries as well as the option of more than one battery for longer off shore power life. For me, this battery under the hood has always provided all I need for my trips, so I have no need at least at present to change things. It might be different for you though.
RobertL
Weekend Camper

Post by RobertL »

Thank you.
I will check with a local store and see if they can order it.
weekender
Seasoned Traveler

Post by weekender »

When you check with the Auto parts store, just tell them you need the auxiliary battery for a Ford E350 van-- they will have nothing in their books about an Airstream b190
Rucorosa

Post by Rucorosa »

Yeah when I saw that dinky battery under my hood - my mind immediately got to thinking how to fix it. I did add a 2nd Optima battery under the couch. But still - It was nagging me about that mini little battery.

So I went down to Walmart and picked up a standard (Class 27?) deep cycle battery to fit inside the area. It was really tight but it works.

The current tray is very narrow but long enough and deep enough. So what I did was remove the old battery and cut a 2x4 to sit inside the tray. On each end of the 2x4 I secured some metal L brackets to keep the new battery from moving side to side. For the width, I actually had to hammer down some the front of the van a few millimeters. Once that was done, it took a little elbow grease but it fit. It's pretty secure. But for added security I am going to put a metal band around the entire tray/battery.
Roadhog
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1995
WBCCI: 8063

Aux battery special size

Post by Roadhog »

Before 1992 the aux battery was a full size 27 battery. Ford for 1992 and later models redesigned the underhood to only accomodate the narrow specially made battery. The original would be a Motorcraft, availlable at most Ford dealers, but a little pricy. Around 150 bucks. I have been told that Interstate Batteries make one that will fit also, but believe it to be a special order and not sure about its cost. They tag theirs as a 50-XHD. The unerhood modifications to make a full 27 size battery fit seems like a lot of work in tight places. Hope this helps.
Happy trails. Howard
chadseld

Post by chadseld »

The house battery in my '93 when I bought it was not a deep cycle battery, just a type 51 lead acid. Great for starting the generator, but not so great at running the house 12v. Optima makes a yellow top that fits this size, but it's not going to perform as well as a normal (large) deep cycle battery. Installing a sealed battery under the couch is a good option if you have the inclination.