Installing an AGM battery on our 93- Sofa or Closet?

Electrical issues, both 12 volt and 120 volt
Alaskan
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1999
WBCCI: 0

Post by Alaskan »

pictures please.... :) your battery mounting and your wire hook-ups

How did ya choose #10 for wire size...?
OnTheRoad
Weekend Camper

Post by OnTheRoad »

Yeah, sounds good. The only issue I see is that you're "supposed to" have matching batteries. So if you are running two house batteries they should be the same type/size/age.

I don't know exactly why that's the case, although I have read this quite a few places including a very stern message about it on the solar charge controller I just installed.

In my case I installed two AGM batteries - one under the couch and one to replace the house battery in the engine compartment. My engine battery is still a regular car battery, but the battery isolator keeps it separated when I'm camping.

... The vendor I bought the AGM battery from was very unhappy to hear I initially had it hooked up in parallel with a deep cycle wet battery, and told me that it would destroy the AGM battery.

So that's something you may want to check into.
weekender
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1993

Post by weekender »

Hey Robert

Did you get this battery project done? Any pictures to share? Did it come out as you wanted?

Steve
RobertL
Weekend Camper

Post by RobertL »

Got it done, but no pics yet as my resident photographer has not gotten to it.
I ended up giving it its own shut off switch(to protect it) and to keep it isolated from the other battery if I choose.
I bolted the battery tray to the plywood on the floor, got a nifty battery top cover(to keep the wires protected) and used battery cable to tie in with.

As I am going to upgrade my battery charger I think I will have this as a total gallery when I am done. Also thinking I may add another battery behind #2 as their is plenty of unused space there.

Also bought a nifty inverter for the apple computer, bose sounddock, etc so that we can use them when we are parked .

Thanks for all the help!
Alaskan
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1999

Post by Alaskan »

Robert.......where are those pictures... :lol:
goinmobile
Weekend Camper

Post by goinmobile »

Alaskan wrote:Thanks OTR....

I'd much prefer to keep the house battery up front and hook the added battery into the system to greatly increase overall capacity...

When I added a house battery to my 1997 (which was much easier as the house battery is rear-mounted) I connected them in series, therefore doubling capacity.

Hi. I was just reading this thread when your post caught me. If you wire 2 12 volt batteries in series you are actually doubling the voltage to 24 volts. Maybe I am reading it wrong.
Many RVers do wire 6 volt batteries in series as the 6 volt in some styles have a greter capacity forv a slow discharge.
mtnmanb
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1991

Re:

Post by mtnmanb »

Alaskan wrote:pictures please.... :) your battery mounting and your wire hook-ups

How did ya choose #10 for wire size...?
I would REALLY like to see a picture of this as well, Please? :?:

Thanks!

B)
'90 bought 27Apr2012
Added Safe-T Stabilizer shock, port. generator, EZE RV gutters, curtains, memory foam 5.5" mattress, rebuilt bunk, Double Pancake LED light, O2 sensor, shore plug, 4655 Converter, Battery under couch, MaxxFan Fantastic Fan