Tell me about inverters

Electrical issues, both 12 volt and 120 volt
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

ChasingRain wrote:I'm with you on taking it on an Onan service dealer.
There may be one closer to you, but I can tell you that there's one by BWI airport, which is where I had mine replaced. They seemed pretty decent. It was also kind of funny seeing my B-van dwarfed by full-size tractors, busses, and a few large Class As. :) (Like seeing a small car in a lot full of SUVs.)
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
ChasingRain
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1994
WBCCI: 0

Post by ChasingRain »

Here's a little update:

Finally got it to an Onan service center- the price to fix the genny would be just slightly less than a new one @ $2500. It needs a new fuel pump and circuit board and some other stuff. Fixing these things seems darn expensive. I'm thinking I'll keep going without it for now- it's going on 2 years of not working, so I've gotten used to it not working.
Eagle
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1990

Post by Eagle »

New member here and late in responding to ChasingRain. I had solar power in my 190 and was not too happy with it. I could get about 6 hours a day out of the batteries even with the solar panels. The microwave would not operate on solar power.

The compartment is large enough to place six or more batteries. You could then hook up an inverter to the batteries and operate the TV and lights. Of course you would need to have a method to charge the batteries if you don't use solar panels.

Now a question for Alaskan. The generator is installed for my rig but the problem now is connection of the gas line. It appears that the gas tank sending units do not have a separate connection for the gas line from the generator. Any suggestions on connecting the gas line from the generator?

Wayne
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

Eagle wrote:Now a question for Alaskan. The generator is installed for my rig but the problem now is connection of the gas line. It appears that the gas tank sending units do not have a separate connection for the gas line from the generator. Any suggestions on connecting the gas line from the generator?
I'm not Alaskan, but I think mine is connected to the fuel line coming from the front tank before the fuel switch (i.e., so the generator only pulls from the front tank). I'm not quite certain what mechanism actually moves the fuel - the generator might have a fuel pump, or the tank fuel pump might run because the generator reduces the pressure in the line...
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
Alaskan
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1999

Post by Alaskan »

Wayne....

Jump over to our new Generator forum for pictures and I'll help your with your fuel line hook up...

your www link isn't working...