Pre 92 Battery information request.

Electrical issues, both 12 volt and 120 volt
jlidahoair
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1990

Pre 92 Battery information request.

Post by jlidahoair »

We are enjoying our 1990 B-190, and have a question about the batteries.
Since we need to replace one. From what I've read on the Forums about batteries, it looks like most B-190's are using one regular and one deep cycle battery. When we bought ours it had both regular type batteries. Both in the engine compartment. The one on the Passenger side is a 24F-84N, and the one on the Drivers side is a 24F-84 (its the one needing replacement).

Now to my question/s. First of all is the coach battery normally on the passenger side, or drivers side. I thought I'd do a simple test, by disconnecting the drivers side battery (w/passenger side still connected), and then see if the coach lights would work. Ok.. I disconnected it, and the coach lights and the engine would start as well. Ok so far.. Then I disconnected the passenger side battery(w/drivers side battery connected again), and the coach lights would still light, engine power was still available, but that battery is the one that needs replaced, and wouldn't turn the engine over.

I guess what I really need to know is, which side is the Deep Cycle battery supposed to go on. I guess if I know that, I'll be able to figure the rest out. I know.... I have a tendency to make a question more complex than it needs to be. Ha, Ha. Oh well, thanks in advance for any help you can give.
Have a great one, Happy Trails. ;o)
Jann
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

In my '91 the coach/deep cycle battery is on the driver's side. If I disconnect that the coach lights (etc) don't work unless the engine is running or I'm plugged in.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
jlidahoair
Weekend Camper

Post by jlidahoair »

Thanks for that Skater.. I noticed that even with the battery removed from the drivers side I have coach interior lights, and also that the positive battery cable where the battery is removed lights my test light. So, Looks like the previous owner had a parallel connection between the two regular batteries (there are two cables going to the positive lead for the drivers side batt.). It seems like it would be possible to run down both batteries that way. Methinks that maybe I should just delete that parallel connection to prevent that running down of the starting battery needlessly. What are your thoughts?

One other thing. I noticed that in front of the drivers side battery there is a solenoid with the hot cable from that batt. connected, on the other, or outside post of that solenoid there is no cable attached. Hmmm.

It appears that by your description of your system, you don't have that parallel connection. That's probably the config I should shoot for. It's always difficult to unscramble someone else's eggs.. ;o)
Thanks again for the input
J
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

Oy. Mine has an isolator that allows power to flow to the coach system, charging the deep-cycle battery, when the ignition is on. When the ignition is off, they're separate systems. The way yours is set up, yes you could run down both batteries while camping.

Also if you have the camper plugged in, the converter is going to be charging the engine battery, possibly reducing its life too. That setup is ugly for several reasons...
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
jlidahoair
Weekend Camper

Post by jlidahoair »

Yes indeed.. we purchased our new deep cycle battery for the coach and will upgrade the system properly asap. Thanks again for the information. It's much appreciated. Spring is on it's way. I hope. ;o)
Again, Happy Trails,
J

** All's well that ends well, or so they say. Battery isolator is properly installed and connected now. Would have hated to run down the starting battery on an extended stay without 110 power. :o).. J.
Gort
Weekend Camper
WBCCI: 0

Re: Pre 92 Battery information request.

Post by Gort »

Reviving this old post,

What did you do to properly isolate this? I'm a little confused on how it should be set up.