1991 12 volt fridge info

Electrical issues, both 12 volt and 120 volt
Planck
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Planck »

Well, since I started this post, I will ask a question:

How many of you drive and have the fridge in gas mode? That is what the manufacturer recommended when I called them with fridge questions. I suppose thats okay with a trailer, but with gasolene fumes, I would think that if it is in gas mode, it should be shut off during re-fueling.
bobbyv
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 0
WBCCI: 1

Post by bobbyv »

Planck, normally on 120v it takes about 8-10 hours b4 a trip to get our fridge really cold. If it's in the winter it only takes about 2hrs. I load it up and just b4 we leave I switch it over to 12v, that way when I'm pulling into a gas station I don't have to mess with turning the propane off. I find that if you don't open the fridge too often it will hold the cold just about all day on 12v. By the way, it even keeps our icecream frozen. Then by evening I will switch to 120v if I have hookups, or propane if I'm dry camping. So far this works pretty well for us.
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

bobbyv wrote:hey I just thought about it, I'll leave it up to you brainiacs to figure it out. :D
:rofl: We'll get right on it. :rofl:
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
craigmar
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 0

Refrigerator info

Post by craigmar »

In reading all the posts, I thought I'd refer folks to a June 2009 post in the appliances forum that I made. I've been running with the fridge for a couple of years now and have never had a problem with keeping things cold and frozen even in the middle of the desert during the summer. I am however, thinking of buying a small ice maker to supplement the cooler ice and maybe makeing a few dollars selling ice to those folks that run out of ice in the middle of their trip and the nearest 7-11 is nowhere to be seen.
OnTheRoad
Weekend Camper

Re: 1991 12 volt fridge info

Post by OnTheRoad »

Planck wrote:I traced the problem to under the bed where the circuit panel is. There was a relay there that had been altered that was tied in to the 12 volt fridge.
Ahh, this looks like the answer to my question in this other post about the fridge wiring:

http://www.b190.com/modules.php?name=Fo ... opic&t=769

I'll see if I can find this relay under my couch.