Courtesy Lights Won't GO Off - 93 B190

Electrical issues, both 12 volt and 120 volt
Planck
Seasoned Traveler

Courtesy Lights Won't GO Off - 93 B190

Post by Planck »

Well, this is not an Airstream question but more a 93 E350 problem. Our recently purchased 2nd Airstream has a few electrical glitches which I am working on. The first one was flaky intermittent wiper operation while driving it home from the dealer in rain. Found this site:
http://www.fordf150.net/howto/fix-inter ... roblem.php

which gave a good description of how to dis-assemble the wiper control at the end of the stalk and clean the contacts. I have done this, but have not tested results.

Second problem, and reason for this post is the door courtsey lights will not go off. This is how I discovered there were 3 batteries, because when I disconnected both batteries under the hood the courtesy lights were still on. I removed the bulbs until I solve the problem.

I have all of the Ford E350 manuals(3) and it appears that there may be a module on the drivers quarter panel behind the B pillar that controls how long the courtesy lights are on when they are triggered by switches on the door handles or locks. Supposed to stay on 25 seconds, then shut off. But, this module may or may not be related to a second module for the remote locking option. I do not know if the Airstream came with a remote key fob. Per tone of the manuals, I need to give a Ford dealer my VIN to find out if it came with remote locking feature.

So, the questions:
Anyone have a 93 190 or thereabouts with factory remote key fob?
Anyone had the problem I am describing and there fix.
Anyone tried to remove the wood paneling behind the bed on the quarter panel to access the possible two modules behind them, one for power door locks and one for the courtesy light timer?

My next step will be to remove one of the front door trim panels to see if in fact there are switches on the door handles or latches that activate these lights.

TIA - Phil
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

I have a '91 so I can't answer most of your questions. But my interior lights have recently started staying on, and I discovered the problem is that one of the door switches is going bad (in my case, it's the back door). I wonder if you have something similar going on - i.e., it's much simpler than the module.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
Planck
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Planck »

Thanks Skater

I will check that out. That was going to be my first try, but switch removal does not look trivial on the 93. Requires a "very" thin wall socket.