Front fuel tanks issues

Electrical issues, both 12 volt and 120 volt
dougb
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1993
WBCCI: 0

Front fuel tanks issues

Post by dougb »

I have a 1990 B190.....My front fuel tank registers empty even though it is full of fuel and the engine will not run when the front tank is selected.

Are there any wires I can test before I drop the tank? I fear the fuel pump may be bad. Though, I have been told that a solenoid may be stuct.

The rear tank works fine and the gauge registers correctly.

Any ideas?
Planck
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Planck »

I had a 91 with that same problem on the rear tank.
fuel pump was faulty. Pain to replace, as tank must be dropped and filler inlet unhooked, along with various tubing connections and electric. Do you have the factory wiring manual? Might be able to troubleshoot with that. Is the same fuse used on both tanks? Maybe a blown fuse. The basic design of that system promotes premature fuel pump failure, as often the gauge is not accurate and the tank will run dry, then the engine sputters so you reach down and flip the switch. If you don't fill the empty tank pretty quick, the pump can fail, as it needs to stay wet as I understand it.
Good luck.
dougb
Weekend Camper

Fuel Tanks Issue

Post by dougb »

Thanks for the response...........I appreciate your help.....I think the fuel pump is bad
Alaskan
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1999

Post by Alaskan »

Please keep us posted on what ya discover so other members might benefit....-thanks !
dougb
Weekend Camper

Front fuel tank

Post by dougb »

Next friday I will be working on the fuel problem.....Whatever I find out I will make sure I post it.....My next step before dropping the tank is to trace all the wiring back from the switch under the dash to the connection on the tank.

My nephew works for a for Ford dealership in New Mexico. He is send me a new manual on the 1990 E350.
dougb
Weekend Camper

Problem Solved

Post by dougb »

I had the fuel pump and sending unit replaced on the center tank on my 1990 B190.................Everything is fine now. :D