House Batteries Charging Time?

Electrical issues, both 12 volt and 120 volt
goinmobile
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1993
WBCCI: 0

House Batteries Charging Time?

Post by goinmobile »

Hi. I have a 93 that has had the generator removed and 2 deep cycle batteries installed in the genny space.
I can't charge them off the alternator and see from other threads that it may be the isolator under the hood.
However I have a portable genny on a carrier on the back. Running it will charge the batteries but very slowly. It takes a good 8 hours to bring them up to a full charge. Is that normal?
There is a solar panel that charges them too when the sun is out. Pressing a button by the converter starts 120 volts through a trace 600 watt inverter but the power doesn't last long.
I need more juice so intend to add a few more that I can fit with the others. The long charge time is a problem as running on the generator for jus charging is expensive.
Planck
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Planck »

Do 2 things. Go to the Articles section above and read about replacing the converter. Then, in the electrical posts, where this one ended up read the one on"should I replace power-----".

I think the "stock" converter from ac to dc puts out a very low dc charge rate. Maybe something like 3 amps, and thus would take a long time to charge up two deep cycle batteries. The modern replacements usually have 3 charging rates. One is pretty high and should charge up your two house batteries much faster. One is a maintenance rate that will not boil all the water out of your batteries like the "stock" one is left plugged in.

I just did this conversion, and it is very easy to do. I got mine from Best Converters, or something like that. They have an online video that shows the complete process. You can call them and they may be able to tell you about how long it would take to charge up your two deep cycles.