Unknown Circuit Breaker

Electrical issues, both 12 volt and 120 volt
Eagle
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1990
WBCCI: 0

Unknown Circuit Breaker

Post by Eagle »

Any one know what this circuit breaker is for? A black cable is attached on one side and on the other the cable goes to the starter solenoid.

I have problems starting the camper at times. The starter drags and I am wondering if this has something to do with that problem.

Planck
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Planck »

Are you sure that the "circuit breaker" is not actually the starter solenoid?
Eagle
Weekend Camper

Post by Eagle »

When I was having problems starting the van I took that "thing" into the Ford parts department and they told me it was not a stock item. They didn't know what it was. I latter learned it was a circuit breaker. They left side is hot as it has 13.6 volts and that appears to be strange as I would not think it would have any juice. Checking across both terminals I get no reading. When I try and start the van it pulls the battery down to 4 volts.
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

Eagle wrote:When I was having problems starting the van I took that "thing" into the Ford parts department and they told me it was not a stock item. They didn't know what it was. I latter learned it was a circuit breaker. They left side is hot as it has 13.6 volts and that appears to be strange as I would not think it would have any juice. Checking across both terminals I get no reading. When I try and start the van it pulls the battery down to 4 volts.
Could it be the isolator? That is, when you start the vehicle, it hooks the engine's electrical system to the coach's system. If there were something wrong with the coach system, such as a very bad battery, you could experience problems.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
Planck
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Planck »

Good point Skater. On my 89 the starter solenoid was about in that location. I would try disconnecting the 12 volt side and tie it off so it does not short out. Then try to start it. If that works, then as Skater said, check out the house battery system.

Good luck
Eagle
Weekend Camper

Post by Eagle »

I had a mechanic friend take a look at my starting problem. There is a 50 amp circuit breaker on each wall and I found out the starting battery is on the passenger side with the house battery on the drivers side. I thought just the opposite. He placed a ground cable from the starter to the body and now it starts every time I turn the key on.

Wayne