I need a new battery...

Electrical issues, both 12 volt and 120 volt
sudec11
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1992
WBCCI: 0

I need a new battery...

Post by sudec11 »

Hello i went to buy a battery at Advanced Auto and they did not have the right size battery for the house battery. Where can I buy a battery for my 92 b190? Please help.....thanks Joan
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Re: I need a battery

Post by skater »

sudec11 wrote:Hello i went to buy a battery at Advanced Auto and they did not have the right size battery for the house battery. Where can I buy a battery for my 92 b190? Please help.....thanks joan
Most parts stores would have them. Are there other parts stores around you?

Or you can order them online; I know Advance Auto's website has them (I just got three for our trailer), and other companies do too.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
sudec11
Weekend Camper

battery

Post by sudec11 »

Hi Skater,

What do I ask for or look for on the advanced auto website? I went to advanced auto and the man there could not figure it out?

Thank you soo much,

Joan
sudec11
Weekend Camper

Is this the right kind of battery?

Post by sudec11 »

http://www.batteriesexpressinc.com/inde ... cts_id=886

commercial 12 volt?

Interstate Batteries C50-XHD Commercial Workaholic 12Volt Battery

The best price on Interstate Batteries Commercial C50-XHD, provides reliable power for your heavy duty applications. Its high 600 CCA provides plenty of starting power for commercial vehicles. Interstate Batteries commercial line uses PINNACLE ™ technology which provides power and endurance to keep you working overtime.
skater
Site Admin
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

You should be able to ask for a deep cycle battery, group 27 (I think that is the correct size; someone check me on this) and they should be able to hand you one. I'm surprised you're having this much trouble.

The battery you linked to is not a deep cycle battery, I think. The deep cycle batteries are better about being run low without damage.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
Planck
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Planck »

Just a reminder, the 92-92 E350 takes a "special" size house battery under the hood on the passenger side. It is smaller than most deep cycle batteries. This has been discussed on the forum before. Try looking under electrical. As I recall, you might have to order at a Ford dealer. Good luck. I moved mine(1993) under the sofa so I could put a standard size in.
Roadhog
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1995
WBCCI: 8063

The house battery

Post by Roadhog »

Ford up until 1991 used a size 27 battery as the house battery. You could buy them just about anywhere. Very popualar size. Then in 1992 Ford redesigned their vans. The new design incorporated a very special odd size battery that became a special item not handled by most auto suppliers. The regular cargo vans do not have this auxillery battery. Ford came up with this installation to satisfy the the conversions of the E350 vans for ambulance service. As a result the vans became available to the RV industry. Now the batteries initially installed were the Motorcraft MOT BH50DC. They are still available at your friendly Ford dealer for around $168 last check. I am not sure but do not believe it to be a deep cycle battery. Anyhow Interstate Batteries has a battery that has the same dimensions and will fit it perfectly. I know, because I recently installed one in my 95 B van. The Interstate battery you need is the C50-XHD. It is not a deep cycle battery. My cost was $138.95 with exchange plus tax.
Hope this clears up some questions. Howard
mtnmanb
Weekend Camper

Re: I need with a battery...

Post by mtnmanb »

Hi there,
I just ordered a PD 4655 inverter and wanted to put a battery or two under the couch of my 90 van. I keep reading mixed opinions where some say you CAN put a sealed battery indoors and others saying you can't. Anyone know for sure or have experience with this and what is the best battery for this (size, brand, price, etc)?

How did you secure the battery(s) in there?

How did you link them to the inverter?

I have one deep cycle size 27 battery in the engine compartment. Do I have to get the same kind? Or is it ok to have different batteries linked together?

Thanks!

B)
'90 bought 27Apr2012
Added Safe-T Stabilizer shock, port. generator, EZE RV gutters, curtains, memory foam 5.5" mattress, rebuilt bunk, Double Pancake LED light, O2 sensor, shore plug, 4655 Converter, Battery under couch, MaxxFan Fantastic Fan
Planck
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Planck »

mtnmanb
Weekend Camper

Post by mtnmanb »

Thanks, I missed that post. I doubt if I'll get that creative with the slider, but I do want to install one or two batteries there.

But the major question is, do I need to vent it with a hose to the genny box if it's a sealed battery? The vent boxes vs regular ones are about 10Xs more expensive ($80 vs $8). Or do you get the vent box with an unsealed battery (cheaper). Just trying to figure out the best combination at a reasonable price.

Also, I didnt' see where I'm supposed to splice the terminal wires.

B)
'90 bought 27Apr2012
Added Safe-T Stabilizer shock, port. generator, EZE RV gutters, curtains, memory foam 5.5" mattress, rebuilt bunk, Double Pancake LED light, O2 sensor, shore plug, 4655 Converter, Battery under couch, MaxxFan Fantastic Fan
Planck
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Planck »

An AGM battery would not have to be vented from what I have read. I vented my lead acid battery into the generator box. Get the price of an AGM and lead acid and see which is less costly way to go. The box only has to be purchased once. Find where your house battery wire attaches to the circuit box. Hook up your under couch battery to the same terminals.
Mgittrich
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1993

Post by Mgittrich »

I am working on similar projects to replace the converter, add a battery bank and a solar array on the roof. I've completed a the converter upgrade and am working on the battery bank install and solar array. These projects are currently on hold while the 93 B190 is in storage.

One of the things I completed for the battery bank project was to determine where to place the batteries. I wanted to have a battery bank of at least 300 amp hours. After looking at the space behind the couch I determined that there was only room for 1 Group31 AGM battery of 100amp hours placed in a battery tray.

To get to the 300amp hour goal, I needed to find room for 2 more batteries.

The obvious choice is to eliminate the drawer under the couch and put the batteries there. The other place I looked at and ultimately chose was to put 2 batteries under the stove and 1 behind the couch. If you look at the space under the stove, there is not enough space to secure 2 Group31 batteries in the normal configuration, terminals on top. However, if you position the batteries with the terminals on there side facing the cabinet there is room. Since I'm using AGM batteries, they are safe indoors and may be secured in any orientation. To do this I made a battery tray from plywood to fit the batteries and the cabinet.

I haven't actual placed the batteries in these locations yet since I didn't want to buy the batteries just to put the B190 in storage for 5 months. But I have placed the battery trays In there locations and ran the cabling to connect this battery bank to the rest of the B190s electrical system.

I hope this information helps.

Mike
Planck
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Planck »

Mike
Good solution under the stove. And yes, nice to be able to orient AGMs any way you want.
Phil