Replacing the converter

Electrical issues, both 12 volt and 120 volt
jafarTheVan
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1990

Re: Replacing the converter

Post by jafarTheVan »

My converter is not working properly. While I get AC in all of my outlets, the house battery is not charged when the car is plugged. The house battery can be charged via alternator though.

I am thinking to get a 2000w Victron inverter charger (link below) at some point, but not quite ready and am reluctant to replace the converter with other converters.

https://battlebornbatteries.com/product ... 2000w-12v/

As a temporary solution, I want to get a 10 amp smart charger. The input to the smart charger would be one of my AC outlets while the car is plugged and the output would be my 12v cigarette lighter underneath the back speaker. The circuit containing the 12v outlet has. +15 amp fuse and the hope is the wiring would handle 10 amp.

Do you think this would work for charging the house battery? Here’s a product I am thinking to get:

https://www.victronenergy.com/chargers/ ... -nav-image

Bonus questions:
1) I am thinking to get a battleborn lithium battery for under the hood. The length of that battery is 12 3/4 inch, while my current house battery is 12 inch long. I have seen some members have installed battleborn batteries under the couch, but any experience with installing them under the hood as it would be a tight fit?

2) is the converter connected to the starter battery as well?
"As you start to walk on the way, the way appears." -Rumi
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

I don't see why that smart charger wouldn't work. If you were using a lot of 12 volt devices, it might be overloaded, but you'd have to have a lot of devices going for that to be a problem, I think, and a short time doing that would be covered by the battery, I'd think.

Can't help with #1. Note the model year of your B190 makes a huge difference here, as the batteries were different.

#2. No, it isn't. I'm planning to install a small battery maintainer to keep the engine battery topped off during the off months.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
Abie Sea
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1989

Post by Abie Sea »

If the problem is the converter I can do no better than recommend this post https://www.b190.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=839 the top of the electrical. I had several problems with fried battery. The installation was relatively easy. My van is a 89, so yours may be different. I have had no problems since I put in the new converter.
silvertrooper
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1996

Post by silvertrooper »

Following these threads, similar problem in my '96. House battery isn't charging when plugged in, and I like the performance boost I'm reading about in all the posts about that new converter.
ORDERED! Having it installed during service next week. Yay!
silvertrooper
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1996

Post by silvertrooper »

Skater and all: I just got a response from my RV mechanic. He suggests that the converter is too large for the electrical system. It seems that those who’ve done this feel like the extra amperage is not a problem, but it seems as if the mechanic is suggesting it will put too much power into the system, but frankly, I don’t fully understand because I have not yet spoken with him. Here are the notes on the estimate. Any thoughts? Should I just take it back and install myself? I will find out more once I speak with him, I am a little concerned that we may be putting a safety problem in our electrical systems, which may not be the case, but I will let you know what I find out. Again, I would love to hear what you all think.

Remove and replace the 110v 12v Converter Charger.
Odom. In: 74509
Test after installation. Record results in notes.
The supplied power converter is incorrect. The wiring to the battery is not designed for 60 amp converter. The converter in coach is not a stand alone unit, it is part of the power distribution center. There would need to be an electrical outlet installed and low voltage wiring installed to put supplied unit in coach
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

silvertrooper wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:12 pm
Skater and all: I just got a response from my RV mechanic. He suggests that the converter is too large for the electrical system. It seems that those who’ve done this feel like the extra amperage is not a problem, but it seems as if the mechanic is suggesting it will put too much power into the system, but frankly, I don’t fully understand because I have not yet spoken with him. Here are the notes on the estimate. Any thoughts? Should I just take it back and install myself? I will find out more once I speak with him, I am a little concerned that we may be putting a safety problem in our electrical systems, which may not be the case, but I will let you know what I find out. Again, I would love to hear what you all think.

Remove and replace the 110v 12v Converter Charger.
Odom. In: 74509
Test after installation. Record results in notes.
The supplied power converter is incorrect. The wiring to the battery is not designed for 60 amp converter. The converter in coach is not a stand alone unit, it is part of the power distribution center. There would need to be an electrical outlet installed and low voltage wiring installed to put supplied unit in coach
It only generates 60 amps if something starts drawing 60 amps, but nothing in a B190 is going to draw that much power. That said, a smaller converter is fine, too - the stock ones are 32 amps. Just have to make sure it fits or you have a spot for it.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit