blinker stalk doesn't stay on

Electrical issues, both 12 volt and 120 volt
Keystone
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1994

Post by Keystone »

Hey all: my left turn indicator stalk doesn't stay on when turning. The blinkers work, and if you hold the stalk down no one out there is the wiser (but this keeps my hand off the wheel when turning so is not really a permanent solution). Is this an easy fix, or a trip to the mechanic? BTW, the right turn indicator stalk is still working fine. Thanks for pondering.
Planck
Seasoned Traveler

Re: blinker stalk doesn't stay on

Post by Planck »

Suggest doing a google search on this problem. You don't say what year. Had a problem with that same stalk and the wipers, and found a great tutorial on how to fix that problem doing said search.
Keystone
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Keystone »

Thanks for the suggestion, Planck. Mine's a 94, btw. Good to know that you have already resolved that problem.

Keystone
1994 b190 4x4
Keystone
B190 4x4
Keystone
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Keystone »

Just a quick follow-up on the blinker problem I had. A trip to the mechanic later, the "turn signal switch" part cost $105, labor was $110, and now I'm back in business letting those behind me know I'm turning left. I think it was kind of expensive, but I must admit it's nice to have it fixed.

Short rant: I am continually astonished at the failure rate of standard automotive parts in these Ford vans. Mine has only 45K miles on it, despite being 18 years old. I have several vehicles with much higher mileage that are more reliable. Is this typical of Ford? Or am I just unlucky? OK, rant over. :lol:
Keystone
B190 4x4
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

Keystone wrote:Short rant: I am continually astonished at the failure rate of standard automotive parts in these Ford vans. Mine has only 45K miles on it, despite being 18 years old. I have several vehicles with much higher mileage that are more reliable. Is this typical of Ford? Or am I just unlucky? OK, rant over. :lol:
Well, keep in mind it IS 18 years old, most likely spent sitting in the sun. And non-use can actually be harder on a vehicle than using it; I know my Cougar (another Ford product) is definitely a little weird when I let it sit for more than a week or so between uses.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit