Electrical issues, both 12 volt and 120 volt
webscrambler
New User
B190 Year: 1996
WBCCI: 0

new coach AGM battery

Post by webscrambler »

I now have two coach AGM batteries.
one under the hood and the second under the sofa (connected to my solar panel).
I just changed the original lead acid battery under the hood to an AGM battery (Absorbed Glass Mat) to match the one I have in the coach.
These batteries will not exhaust any gasses, can be used in any position (except upside down) and can be shipped.
The AGM batteries are very expensive, however, I discovered I could buy a used "UPS" battery for $22 (with a 18 month warranty)from a Tampa discount battery distributer.
The story I was told is this: UPS trucks use these batteries on their trucks 10 at a time....if one tests weak they swap out all of them...The discount battery company buys them and tests them all (then sell the ones that test out good) 75 to 85% are fine!
Something to think about the next time you need a battery...check it out locally...discount battery or UPS.
MoJo
B190 Year: 1990
WBCCI: 0

Post by MoJo »

I am interested in doing a similar thing, and was wondering how exactly you hooked everything up. I was thinking about adding an AGM battery somewhere (probably under the sofa) powering only a 12 volt outlet or two, at least to begin with. I want to use it to power my various toys when off the grid, without having to worry about draining the other batteries.

I'm curious how you hooked it up to the alternator, how you did the wiring, what kind of wiring and other materials you used, etc. I also heard about having to keep some things only a certain distance from batteries and what not, but I obviously don't have enough of a clue to know what and where. Any thoughts or insights would be appreciated.
lougarou
Weekend Camper

UPS

Post by lougarou »

Shalom '

web scrambler,

can you give me the address of the recycler of the ups batteries? theres nothing local here except for NAPA .

be safe, LG
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

webscrambler emailed me with a response to this:
Hi,
I am in Slovakia at the moment, so I do not have access to the
address....however, if you look up the phone number for Square Deal Battery in Tampa Florida the will give all the information needed....
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit