Does the converter create heat?

Electrical issues, both 12 volt and 120 volt
Minnie
B190 Year: 1995
WBCCI: 0

Does the converter create heat?

Post by Minnie »

Hello all. I am a new member. A senior senior on the distaff side who didn't quite realize that I now have
anther whole house to learn about, and take care of. Already I don't know what I would have done
without this forum! A wonderful site to learn about my brand new 1995 B190!
After about 2 days of reading here, I thought I had a pretty good start at getting a handle on how to use
everything. Except propane appliances, which I guess I do fear a little. Stove, OK. Furnace... maybe I will just start the engine.
Anyway, I plugged into 110 for the first time, yesterday morning. After about 15 minutes of rearranging
the bed frame (old lady can't take that board gouging the knees) I noticed warm air coming out the vent
under the fuse panel at the end of the couch. There was also a slight humming sound. Does this have
anything to do with the converter running?. Maybe while charging the coach battery? Will the heat
eventually quit?
Thanks so much for any information!
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Re: Does the converter create heat?

Post by skater »

Yes, that's the converter doing its job, and it will get somewhat warm from that. My original converter was always working (as long as the camper had 120 volt power - either from the cord or the generator), but the fan didn't come on until it was REALLY warm. How hot is it in the camper? If it's pretty hot in the camper, then the fan might be on trying to cool down the converter, and that would be normal. If it's cool in the camper, and the fan is running, then I'd be less confident.

If it is the original converter, I recommend replacing it with a 3 stage model. The original converters will cook the coach battery by overcharging it, rendering it useless, unless you are very careful to turn off the converter when the battery is charged. The new converter I installed never needed to activate its fan, either.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
Minnie

Post by Minnie »

The fan came on at about the same interval, twice. It was about 70+ deg outside each time. The coach was not hot, but getting noticeably warmer. I thought there was a secret furnace in there at first. I didn't leave the 110 plugged in very long as it seemed something might not be right.
Also, none of this happened when I ran the generator for about an hour.

I might assume the converter is original. Might be why this rig came with a new coach battery?

Is there a way to turn off the converter when on 110?

Is the new 3 stage something a neighbor handyman could install?
Minnie

Post by Minnie »

I just found your post on installing that new converter. Thanks Skater. Awesome instructions.
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

The easiest way to shut off the converter but keep 120 volt power for other things would be to just flip off the breaker it's plugged into - in mine, one breaker was dedicated to the converter, so I wouldn't lose anything else if it was off.

Yes, that's probably why it has a new battery. :)
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
Denco
Weekend Camper

Post by Denco »

Ha just saw this post. getting ready for a road trip and my converter/batterty charger system gave me fits. I will cover it another time but i fixed it! so happy!!