Adding a generator

Electrical issues, both 12 volt and 120 volt
dbensen
B190 Year: 0
WBCCI: 0

Adding a generator

Post by dbensen »

I've been searching for a b190 for awhile now and there is always something creating a roadblock. If it's not price,it's location, engine size or very high mileage. Well, I'm on the East coast and I found a 1990 on the West coast( I got over the location thing.) It meets most of the things that I was looking for except it doesn't have a generator. It is not generator ready so I would have to cut the body for access. Not sure what is required beyond that. Having a generator isn't really necessary, it's so much more a want than a need, but I would still like to have one if I buy this van. The project doesn't scare me but cutting into the body and realizing something was installed there because it wasn't supposed to get a generator would be bad. Still looking if someone knows of a older body style with the 460 on the East coast. Thanks, Doug
Wakeslayer
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1994

Re: Adding a generator

Post by Wakeslayer »

Doug,

There is one someone posted on here earlier this week. In Milwaukee,WI $4000 38000 miles. This photo shows the access panel for the genny. I don't see the control panel or the exhaust pipe for it, but that doesn't mean it isn't there. Half the distance, and priced awesome.

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/rvs/3245069565.html

Mike
Just get on the Bus!!

Mike & Barbara
mtnmanb
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1991

Post by mtnmanb »

All campers are "generator ready" and shouldn't need to be cut. They all have the compartment for a Onan 2.8. Problem is that the generator costs a lot. So I just got a Honda 2000 and keep it in the tub when I'm not using it. Be sure to buy a chain if you go this route as I've heard numerous people say that they are stolen if you don't chain up on the outside of the van.

B)
'90 bought 27Apr2012
Added Safe-T Stabilizer shock, port. generator, EZE RV gutters, curtains, memory foam 5.5" mattress, rebuilt bunk, Double Pancake LED light, O2 sensor, shore plug, 4655 Converter, Battery under couch, MaxxFan Fantastic Fan
dbensen

Post by dbensen »

Hey guys,
Thanks for getting back so quick. The guy who has the van only showed the passenger side. I never saw the drivers side so I was assuming that it didn't have and provision for the gen set. If generator ready then life should be good, if I chose to go that way. I have a little honda EM2200X but the thing weighs over 100 pound with fuel. All these things keep getting heavier as I get older. Not sure why. The van on Craigslist sold very quickly, I spoke to him last week. He was like a gateway van. Once I figured I would travel that far, the whole country opened up. Even looked in Canada. Something will show up eventually, I just have to be quick. I still need to sell my 1987 27' Sovereign to make room in the driveway. Thanks again, that is really good news. Doug
skater
Site Admin
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

I think they all have the compartment - it either contained a generator or could be used for storage.

Keep in mind adding one isn't the simplest thing - you have to run a fuel line, then add the 12 volt wiring and 120 volt wiring and a transfer switch. It can be done, of course; someone here did it not too long ago, but it's not plug and play either. Additionally the only generator that fits in the compartment I'm aware of is the Onan 2500, and it's $2000 or more new. I searched around in 2006 when mine died and couldn't find anything else that came close to fitting.

For the Honda, we have two of those Honda 2000 generators, and they weigh ~50 lbs each. Might be time to upgrade yours. :)
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
Wakeslayer
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1994

Post by Wakeslayer »

I am a huge fan of the Honda EU generators. I have an EU3000 at our off grid cabin in Idaho. Super quiet, super reliable.
Just get on the Bus!!

Mike & Barbara
dbensen

Post by dbensen »

I do love the inverter generators. So quiet and light, and the fact that you can link two of them and double your output is impressive. That is something I will consider, but this one works so well its hard to let it go. Everything with the van is hypathetical at this point. It almost seems like he doesn't want to sell it to me. A little worrisome. In a perfect world I will find one close by and it will have a generator. In the mean time I'm going to prepare to sell my trailer. My daughter and I will miss it but my find more uses for the van. I resist change, but I think this will be a positive move. Talk to you all soon. Thanks, D
Alaskan
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1999

Post by Alaskan »

On the drivers-side view I see what looks to be the gen exhaust just ahead of the rear tire...which is where it was located on the 1990 & 1991...

IMO....packing around a separate gen like that Honda mentioned is a pain in the butt and I wouldn't consider storing in the shower stall, who the heck wants to drag that in & out....to each his own, just saying
mtnmanb
Weekend Camper

Post by mtnmanb »

Alaskan wrote:IMO....packing around a separate gen like that Honda mentioned is a pain in the butt and I wouldn't consider storing in the shower stall, who the heck wants to drag that in & out....to each his own, just saying
I think it matters how often you need one. I hardly ever use mine in the 8-9 trips I've taken so far. Plus, $850 vs $2500 is a consideration...

I like that I can use the Honde EU2000i for other things if needed too. Getting it out of the shower stall is a PIA, but I'll take the cost savings and workout :wink:

B)
'90 bought 27Apr2012
Added Safe-T Stabilizer shock, port. generator, EZE RV gutters, curtains, memory foam 5.5" mattress, rebuilt bunk, Double Pancake LED light, O2 sensor, shore plug, 4655 Converter, Battery under couch, MaxxFan Fantastic Fan
Alaskan
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1999

Post by Alaskan »

In some that I've seen..Airstream did a poor job installing the wood supporting under the shower floor, which bwt is very thin plastic and not actually fiberglass as it appears.

In one case I found that support wood wasn't even up tight against the shower floor which results in very small hair-line cracks (that leaked) around the perimeter of the shower bottom...and that was a major project to repair/replace with aluminum support and a new section of the shower bottom, which were available back then but probably isn't any longer....that is a very difficult place to work in, from the back under the shower...

Therefore I say its a poor idea to use the shower for storing a generator...
mtnmanb
Weekend Camper

Post by mtnmanb »

I've already taken the shower curtain out and built a shelf on the top part of the shower (and a removable shelf for the bottom). It's storage only for me and I'll use the hose to clean things off muddy gear on the outside of the vehicle. All depends on what you resign that area for. I don't ever plan on showering in there. From the looks of the shower bottom, neither did the previous owner.

C'est la vie :)

B)
'90 bought 27Apr2012
skater
Site Admin
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

Alaskan wrote:In some that I've seen..Airstream did a poor job installing the wood supporting under the shower floor, which bwt is very thin plastic and not actually fiberglass as it appears.

In one case I found that support wood wasn't even up tight against the shower floor which results in very small hair-line cracks (that leaked) around the perimeter of the shower bottom...and that was a major project to repair/replace with aluminum support and a new section of the shower bottom, which were available back then but probably isn't any longer....that is a very difficult place to work in, from the back under the shower...

Therefore I say its a poor idea to use the shower for storing a generator...
That was my first thought, then I remembered that the EU2000 weighs ~50 lbs, while I weighed ~180 lbs when I used the B190's shower, so the generator shouldn't be a problem in general. Perhaps with it bouncing around on the road it might cause it to crack, but again I'm sure my weight was worse on that shower floor than that.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit