Microwave removal

Refrigerator, stove, furnace, water pump, air conditioner, microwave, water heater, fans, lighting
Rhettb
B190 Year: 1992
WBCCI: 0

Microwave removal

Post by Rhettb »

I have a 1992 B190 with a Panasonic microwave. I would like to replace the microwave but don't see how to remove it from the compartment above the refrigerator. There seems to be a board under the microwave that prevents it from sliding out but no access that I can see.
Someone asked this question in 2011 but I didn't see any reply.

Thanks to anyone with a solution.
EricZ
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1993

Re: Microwave removal

Post by EricZ »

I believe the board under the microwave has four small holes positioned for the microwave rubber feet to fit into, thus preventing it from sliding out while driving.

In my 1993 Airstream 190 I was able to lift the microwave straight up and slide it out. I opened the microwave and lifted from the inside "roof" of the unit. It was quite some time ago, but I do seem to recall it was slightly awkward to lift all four feet out of their holes simultaneously.
Mgittrich
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Mgittrich »

Eric,

Thanks for the tip. I was starting to look at this last fall. After I couldn't figure out how to get the microwave out I just shelved the idea of replacing it.

If you replaced the microwave, do you remember what you replaced the microwave with?

Mike
EricZ
Weekend Camper

Post by EricZ »

The microwave oven was something I didn't use, so I removed it to free up space. My plan is to use that area as an instrument panel (but that's what I've said for a year now, so who knows when I'll get to it). I thus don't have any recommendations for a replacement.
Mgittrich
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Mgittrich »

So I'm looking at the microwave still trying to figure out how to remove it. I have 93 B190 with a Panasonic microwave. Tho opening above the fridge is 20 1/8" X 12 1/2" and the microwave itself is 20" x 11" without the feet and 20" x 12" with the feet. The only thing I see holding the microwave in place is a 1/2" plywood strip running across the back two feet to prevent the microwave from moving forward and out of the cabinet. Otherwise it appears to just be sitting in the cabinet unattached to anything else except the power cord in the back. Here's a quick drawing I put together to illustrate this
image.jpg
image.jpg (51.23 KiB) Viewed 10720 times
I've tried just lifting it up and out per Eric's suggestion but the back feet won't clear the plywood strip.

Has anyone else seen this kind of installation? The only thing I can see to do is use a reciprocating saw to cut off the back to feet to gain the clearance to lift it over the board and out the front. Before I did this I thought I'd see if anyone else found a better solution.

Thanks for the help.

Mike
slapthecat
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1990

Post by slapthecat »

My microwave has the back feet recessed into the plywood strip, not that it should matter...
Like an above poster - I hold it from the inside, lift straight up, and then pull straight out. Are you able to lift it? Maybe something on top of it keeping it from going high enough to clear the wood strip?
Mgittrich
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Mgittrich »

I am able to lift it straight up from the inside and it's definitely not attached to anything. It just looks like the feet won't clear the plywood strip. Guess I will just keep trying. Maybe I'll try a big screw driver lover it up.

Mike
lido14co
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1992

Post by lido14co »

I have the same setup in our 92. If you can get a pry bar in the bottom you may be able to clear the back feet. Also, make sure the electrical cord is not binding on top of the microwave. Good luck!

Cliff