Water heater question

Refrigerator, stove, furnace, water pump, air conditioner, microwave, water heater, fans, lighting
sudec11
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1992
WBCCI: 0

Water heater question

Post by sudec11 »

Hello, I need to purchase a new water heater. Should I buy propane, electric or a combo. Also, 6 or 10 gallon? Does anybody have any opinions? Thank you so much!

Joan
bryanl

Re: Water heater question

Post by bryanl »

the easiest replacement would be a standard 6 gallon propane water heater with DSI or direct spark ignition. Check camping world: Suburban Water Heaters or Atwood Water Heaters

Do check the measurements for the size of hole and depth to compare to what you have. These are fairly easy to do it yourself. Use putty tape around the outside (local hardware, mobile home/RV section) to seal. (not silicone).

To save a bit, you can forgo the DSI. Also look for a surplus dealer and you might find one for quite a bit less than the CW prices.
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

First, I would most definitely install a water heater bypass on it to make winterizing easier!

Our campers have a 6 gallon heater; you probably won't be able to fit a 10 gallon in there. With that decision out of the way, you're pretty much left deciding which brand and whether you want DSI. Sticking with the same brand (Atwood in mine, I think) may make installation a bit easier.

Personally, I'd try to go with DSI - without it, when you want to light the water heater, you have to go out and do it manually. This normally isn't a major issue, but I've been on camping trips years ago where the pilot got blown out due to wind, which is kind of annoying.

However, the cost difference is huge - I didn't realize they were that much more expensive. You'd have to save a lot of propane to offset the difference in price. ($279 vs. $449 for the Atwood 6 gallon with DSI with CW club discount.)

They also offer models that have an electric element in them, which aren't that much more than the gas-only models. However, to use that in our campers, you'd have to run a new wire (I assume they use 120 volt, so you'd probably have to tap into the circuit the fridge and outlets are on) and verify that the water heater doesn't overload the circuit. I doubt the benefits - faster recovery and reduced propane usage - are worth it for our campers.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
jafarTheVan
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1990

Post by jafarTheVan »

Anyone have experience with installing a "Suburban Sw6De 6 Gallon Dsi Electric Ignition/Lp" on B190? Would that be a ok fit?

Cut out dimensions for Suburban Sw6De: 12.75" wide x 12.75" high x 19 3/16" deep
"As you start to walk on the way, the way appears." -Rumi
con5
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1998

Post by con5 »

I installed a Suburban SAW6D and it was a direct replacement.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07LF ... UTF8&psc=1

Don't forget to save your door, the hinges, the latch, and the latch mounting plate from your old unit.
Sub2RainEN
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1990
WBCCI: 0

Post by Sub2RainEN »

skater wrote:First, I would most definitely install a water heater bypass on it to make winterizing easier!

Our campers have a 6 gallon heater; you probably won't be able to fit a 10 gallon in there. With that decision out of the way, you're pretty much left deciding which brand and whether you want DSI. Sticking with the same brand (Atwood in mine, I think) may make installation a bit easier.

Personally, I'd try to go with DSI - without it, when you want to light the water heater, you have to go out and do it manually. This normally isn't a major issue, but I've been on camping trips years ago where the pilot got blown out due to wind, which is kind of annoying.

However, the cost difference is huge - I didn't realize they were that much more expensive. You'd have to save a lot of propane to offset the difference in price. ($279 vs. $449 for the Atwood 6 gallon with DSI with CW club discount.)

They also offer models that have an electric element in them, which aren't that much more than the gas-only models. However, to use that in our campers, you'd have to run a new wire (I assume they use 120 volt, so you'd probably have to tap into the circuit the fridge and outlets are on) and verify that the water heater doesn't overload the circuit. I doubt the benefits - faster recovery and reduced propane usage - are worth it for our campers.
Uh oh...don’t have propane anymore. But my water pump isn’t working now and the tanks got broken, so add this to the list. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Proud 1990 B190 newbie owner