Grey Adhesive for refrigerator cabinetry

Refrigerator, stove, furnace, water pump, air conditioner, microwave, water heater, fans, lighting
Tucsonan
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1994
WBCCI: 0

Grey Adhesive for refrigerator cabinetry

Post by Tucsonan »

Hello everyone,

I was replacing my carpet and found that a long ago leak from a previous owner had caused some rotting of the subfloor and refrigerator cabinetry. I went ahead and pulled out all of the cabinets with the subfloor and now I am beginning to replace them. To adhere and seal the refrigerator cabinets to the inside of the metal van walls, Airstream used a grey flexible adhesive.

Does anyone know what the exact product is ? I have taken a "chunk" to Home Depot, but they didn't know. With all of the different adhesive/sealers out there, I don't want to make a mistake and choose the wrong one. I'm sure it is common in the RV world.

Any help will be appreciated! Thanks, Rick
1994 B190, Sahuarita Arizona

"... but it's a dry heat!"
slapthecat
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1990

Re: Grey Adhesive for refrigerator cabinetry

Post by slapthecat »

I had to redo my fridge compartment last year as well. A few people identified the sealant as butyl rubber - so I bought a tube of butyl rubber and used it in a few places. I can say, don't use butyl rubber! It never cured.

What did work, at the suggestion of my local RV repair shop, was Proflex RV Sealant. Applied really easily, started to cure within a few minutes so you could form it a bit if necessary, and it stays elastic so it won't crack or peel off. I've been pretty pleased with it!
Tucsonan
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1994

Re: Grey Adhesive for refrigerator cabinetry

Post by Tucsonan »

Great! Thanks!
I will post photos if I ever get done :mrgreen:
1994 B190, Sahuarita Arizona

"... but it's a dry heat!"