Fridge only works on propane

Refrigerator, stove, furnace, water pump, air conditioner, microwave, water heater, fans, lighting
vzfit
B190 Year: 0
WBCCI: 0

Fridge only works on propane

Post by vzfit »

Guys,

My fridge is barely working on propane. Neither elec or 12v work at all. How can I fix? Is it possibly a freon issue? I'm on a roadtrip to Yellowstone and Glacier right now.
Thanks,
Sam
lido14co
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1992

Re: Fridge only works on propane

Post by lido14co »

12v works only with engine running and elec only if plugged to shore power. They all work the same way by providing heat to the "chimney". Feel the chimney. It should be hot. Also make sure you're fairly level. I believe the 12v and electric use the same component so that piece could be belly up.ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
slapthecat
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1990

Post by slapthecat »

I have a newer Dometic 3-Way, and that has two separate heating elements - one for 12V operation, and another 120V. I don't think the propane mode uses the heating elements - pretty sure it's the flame that heats everything up for that mode...

So, possibly a bad 120V heating element?

Why it's not working in propane mode doesn't make sense though. Is the pilot flame lighting?
micabarry
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1991

Post by micabarry »

I would suspect that it is a freon issue in that it "barely" works on propane. If you have a meter you could ck for voltage on back to see if you have 110v. Good luck!
190-b-651
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 0

Post by 190-b-651 »

I agree it could be your heating element and dont get in a hurry to check it let it sit over night or at least 10-12 hours just to be sure your not rushing it its not like a freon system this uses ammonia its very efficient but its a sealed system and can not be served on YouTube you can find videos to walk you through the testing with a multimeter. You can have the coils rebuilt but its not cheap $475 but half the price of a new fridge try rvcool online.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk