Oven pilot works but no heat

Refrigerator, stove, furnace, water pump, air conditioner, microwave, water heater, fans, lighting
JoeD
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1993
WBCCI: 0

Oven pilot works but no heat

Post by JoeD »

Thanks so much in advance I use this forum as a resource countlessly and appreciate all the great info.

My oven pilot light will light but the tube won't flame. Does anyone have an idea what's happening? The stove top works as it should and the pilot for the oven works. But when I go to crank up the heat, the pilot will light up a bit more, but nothing else. Tube is clean the whole oven is really clean in fact, because we have never used it, and it looks like neither did previous owners. So maybe that cylinoid/thermostat is bad? The injector?(the red piece if that's what it's called) I took a couple photos. Everything looks new or clean to me anyway. Thank you!!
I still don't know how to upload photos to the site so here's a link.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... fDeoLgDR0i
JoeD
Weekend Camper

Re: Oven pilot works but no heat

Post by JoeD »

And I put new shoes on her today. :D
okaynagan
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1995

Post by okaynagan »

I had the same problem with the Wedgewood oven in my 88 van. I did quite a bit of searching on the internet and most post were saying that the problem was the thermostat. The posts were saying that this is a know defect/problem with the older Wedgewood ovens. They suggested workarounds to fix the problem but I was unable to get any of them to work. Tried to find the replacement thermostat online and in the local RV parts store. No one had them in stock or could find a replacement. Calling the manufacturer they told me the part was obsoleted and no longer in stock.

The way the system is suppose to work is after the pilot is lit and you turn the oven on the pilot is suppose to bump up to a larger flame that heats up the thermocouple. When the thermocouple reaches the right temperature a solenoid opens up and gas flows to the burner and ignites.

If you want to verify that your issue is the same as mine what you can do is take a propane torch. Use it to heat up the thermocouple and see if the burner will ignite.
JoeD
Weekend Camper

Post by JoeD »

Interesting. That's just a way to speed up the process? I'm going to give that a try tomorrow. Thanks! I'll report back
JoeD
Weekend Camper

Post by JoeD »

Trying the propane torch on the thermocouple and the whole tube area as well is producing no positive results. Tried moving the flame around a multitude of places for a good few minutes a couple times and no gas into the tube. So it means a bad thermostat I take it, which replacements are not findable? Kind of a predicament i guess. Buy a new one I suppose? Shoot.
JoeD
Weekend Camper

Post by JoeD »

After some more tinkering and coming upon a website I hadn't seen, I think I solved my problem!! Doing the propane torch I don't think I was hitting the thermal bulb for long enough. I was moving it around too much. But on this site it explains how there a little Mercury in the bulb which will activate the gas flow. It said to make sure the bulb was enveloped in the flame entirely(and to be patient) which I clearly I was failing. The way it was set up, the bulb was a few cm from the flame and the way it was bent wouldn't allow me to achieve that. If I would bend it further, it would be going in the wrong direction. So I rotated the whole mechanism and put the burner tube back on, so everything was upside down from how it was sitting originally. Presto! A little Jimmy rig, but it works. Here's the website for anyone else interested. It didn't recommend roatating the assembly, but that was the only way I could get the enlarged pilot flame to engulf the thermal bulb. Hope it may help someone in the future!

http://www.rvdoctor.com/2009/10/no-oven ... n.html?m=1
Choptop
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1990

Post by Choptop »

Good find, thanks for sharing the link. :!:
lido14co
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1992