Microwave Replacement, or keep&clean this junker?

Refrigerator, stove, furnace, water pump, air conditioner, microwave, water heater, fans, lighting
Millennial Falcon
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1994

Post by Millennial Falcon »

So, I’ve never even used this microwave... and it didn’t seem extremely securely installed. I’m not sure if it’s what came with the van or it has been replaced, but it is a Kenmore 721.

I removed it because there was an old mouse nest behind it I wanted/had to clean out. Now that it’s removed, it’s an old... used... dirty microwave (not to mention it was sitting on top of an old mouse nest). I’m considering instead of dousing it in Lysol... to just chuck the thing, and buying a new microwave IF AND WHEN I EVER DECIDE I NEED ONE.

Are these machines pretty easy to find to get a new clean one without someone else’s 20 years of popcorn butter residue? An initial Amazon/Google search shows it may still be available at like $200... so maybe I just clean this thing up.

But, if someone has a recommendation for a good ALTERNATE MODEL that will fit easily and be in the sub-$120 range... for sanitization sake i’d Love to hear what you guys have done!!
weekender
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1993
WBCCI: 0

Re: Microwave Replacement, or keep&clean this junker?

Post by weekender »

I don't believe these were anything special. I've seen several units, don't think any of them had the same brand or even style. I would expect, Airstream installed what they could get for the space that was available, nothing more. I've not removed mine, but never use it for anything more than storage. If I had easy access to a piece of Oak that would make for a door, I would get rid if the microwave in a heartbeat-- just have not put any effort into it. There would be considerably more space for storage than just the inside of the microwave -- someday.... If your unit is dirty (mine still looks brand new) I'd just get rid of it, and worry about replacing it if ever the day came.
Sub2RainEN
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1990

Post by Sub2RainEN »

Think mine is a 1000 watt Panasonic. Have only used it when plugged in. You could put anything that fits and maybe even get a lower wattage unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Sub2RainEN on Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Proud 1990 B190 newbie owner
baggydew
Weekend Camper

Post by baggydew »

I just replaced my microwave in my 94. I put in a Fridgidaire model FFCM1155US. It's 1100 watt 1.1 cu ft. It fis perfectly.
baggydew
Weekend Camper

Post by baggydew »

That microwave was bought this month at Walmart for $89.